Hey mSparks

players come here
Xeon
Advanced Member

Postby Xeon » Thu Mar 06, 2003 8:49 am

Hi there,

your bot surprised me, it ran really smooth on my Celeron 300.

i notice a few things though, heres my setup first

Celeron 300 Mhz
128 MB RAM @66Mhz
S3 Savage4
Quake 2 3.20
Action Quake 2 1.0c (i think thats the bare bones original)
LTKTBM (bot only, not the full install)
the tested route files from your download page

so far, ive only tried a few couple of maps (urban, actcity2, winter, teamjungle)

1.) on some rare instances, i (the player), moves alone by itself, this is the first time ive seen it so far, but ill check my keyboard first.

2.) your crtcompiler dont work, a split second of an hour-glass then nothing.

suggestion: why not try merging this forum with Q2ICE's?

i would also be grateful if you can post other links of your full install file other than the 3 on your download page.

Thanks in advance

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:04 am

I have noticed the player moving by itself on slower machines I believe its actually a quake 2 thing that causes the server not to recognise that you've released a key, if it does it again, just tap the key that is in the same direction as you are moving (e.g. forward) and you should stop, I am going to work on fixing this with the next release.

yeah I spotted CRT compiler doesn't work on older machines (below PIII i believe), which is why I released the compiled routes with the tested nodes,unfortunately I dont have the server space atm to include the compiled routes with the other node files, but theres not much point till I get them tested anyhow.

I'd considered a couple of forum merges, but this forum is also home to my online support (which you cant see with a standard member account) so any forum merges would have to come this way because I need full admin access to maintain that area. I'm probably going to write a board wrapper for ltktbm members which would have some ltktbm and q2ice specific forums, as well as adding the menu system for the ltktbm site.
© Mark 'mSparks' Parker 2010
<pubkey>AJXzWKeV59HaoUkmrCwP9f+kMr8aOIM
jMKy7ACsaRDCE/XuF0orj/jActtfWDMKjg/CixI7JP0Z6lbS99dc
86fxDIQOmfIU8BNYKPmlPA/uY3ZpT9/4iQY0XwKad5eJhDFW
cZ2Z4VUWJzlbuoX/QV4ihTVkr9JnyJb+fN9AOqXH9AQAB</pubkey>

Xeon
Advanced Member

Postby Xeon » Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:53 pm

im certain in an older version of your bot, your crtcompiler worked, but compiling seems way too long for me. would this be my case incase you fix the compiler?

oh, and i recommend <a href='http://7-zip.org' target='_blank'>7-zip</a> for file compression, compresses better in most cases than rar and ace :D

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:29 pm

tbh I dont know why the compiler don't work on older machines, theres nothing special in there that should stop it from working, most likely its something todo with MFC rather than the actual code.

I did think of something, when you say 'split second of hour glass' when exactly does that happen. Is it when you first try to start it (i.e. it just doesn't bring up the window with the compile and close buttons) or is it when you click on compile?

the reason I say this is, there are quite a few things that can go wrong with the compiler, and it doesn't report any warning or error messages, just either works or doesn't. But on old machines, it just plain and simple wont start.

crt compiler reads a file called clist.txt, which contains a list of node files to compile enclosed in colons(e.g. :actcity2: ) if for instance it can't find this file, or it contains a map it cant find a .lnd file for, it just bombs out and doesn't tell you why, its one of those things that wasn't important at the time because I just put it together so that it was possible to compile a load of maps at one time, and the game engine compiles the route if it tries to load a map that hasn't been compiled before.
Another problem is, its currently limited to about 20 maps in one go.
I'll knock up a version with error messages in at a later date.

An earlier release also contained a different version of crtcompiler called socompiler.exe, socompiler had the list of maps to compile built into it and didn't use clist.txt. This was dropped when I found it wouldn't run on old machines, so I had to include the compiled routes.

Xeon
Advanced Member

Postby Xeon » Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:57 pm

mSparks wrote:I did think of something, when you say 'split second of hour glass' when exactly does that happen. Is it when you first try to start it (i.e. it just doesn't bring up the window with the compile and close buttons) or is it when you click on compile?

it doesnt run at all, no window, no nothing.

i guess ill just have to wait for a new version, i just want to try some new maps so i decided to ask. :)

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:37 pm

ok can you try something for me, try the pathfinder project (its an opengl compiler rather than an MFC app, just run 1 of the batch files included in the download)
if that runs I'll make the project read the clist.txt for the forthcoming pathfinder update so you can use that.

Xeon
Advanced Member

Postby Xeon » Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:00 pm

it worked :)

a question about gameplay, i saw a picture at moddb.com doing HCs (dont know what that means, but seems like kicking opponents weapon or something). what command is that?

Xeon
Advanced Member

Postby Xeon » Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:57 pm

i just thought id update you

the crtcompiler finally works now on my PC. the only thing ive changed in my PC is installing Swat3.

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:19 pm

:)
kicking has always been part of AQ2, just run up to an enemy and jump into 'em :)
an easy way to test is to set the bot skill to something low (e.g. ltk_skill 0) so you get plenty of time to get close.
I play about with the skill quite a lot depending on what weapon I want to play with, because I like to play alone against 4-5 bots and with a high skill I dont stand a chance with knives, but its great fun with a low skill, and scary when you miss and they come charging at you :)
interesting point about crtcompiler, I wonder if it was something like an old version of mfc42.dll. that little monster can cause compatibility problems all over the show, (its quite often that on win98 you get two peices of software, and one installs an old version which is incompatible with the other software).

Xeon
Advanced Member

Postby Xeon » Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:48 am

one more issue i may comment on the crtcompiler (not sure if its an issue or a mere fact that my PC is just slow)

i tried using it and noted that compiling would take take time (probably like 7-zipping a 100 MB file or more), i decided to multitask while waiting (net surfing hehehe)

however, upon compiling the second map, the compiler became somewhat unresponsive, til it actually did (as ive seen thru alt-ctrl-del)

oh and does your bot plan to support other mods?

i suggest Rocket Arena 2 -Gladiator rocks but on my PC it lags like hell on maps with large route files, roaming isnt the best either, but overall far better than what rocketbot did

smurphster
Advanced Member

Postby smurphster » Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:48 am

crtcompiler is C++ right? if the code is well commented i could probably whip up those error messages and make it a bit more user friendly. i don't know much about windows and buttons etc but i could probably figure it out ;)

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:28 am

heh, sweet.
i decided to multitask while waiting (net surfing hehehe)

however, upon compiling the second map, the compiler became somewhat unresponsive, til it actually did (as ive seen thru alt-ctrl-del)

Actually it was still doing its job :P, just that I haven't got it coming out of the processing thread properly so if it looses focus it doesn't update the window and windows thinks its not responding (you'll see the same effect if using an image processing routine that takes a long time).
Yes its true, it does take a long time, if you watch what it actually does in pathfinder you'll see why, each of those little triangles represents a point on the map. so its VERY processor intensive (which is why its 'compiled' and not done in real time - CRT = Compiled Route Table). It takes about 30 minates on my PIII 700 to compile all 15 maps so on a 300 your probably looking at an hour + (so its quicker downloading even on 56K)
mind you, it'd be nice if that method could be used as a compression scheme, 200:1 loss-less compression aint bad :D

sure smurph, I'll probably be releasing the source to crtcompiler and the pathfinder equivelent sometime either today or tomorrow. Its not 'heavily' commented but there should be enough in there.

Xeon
Advanced Member

Postby Xeon » Fri Mar 07, 2003 5:59 pm

good thing its not a big issue for me really, i can compile them one by one and test play, at least i could keep track of crts to be tested :D

Return to “LTK TBM Clients”