those things that go unnoticed...

players come here
Xeon
Advanced Member

Postby Xeon » Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:55 pm

fog- slacker dude, i suggest you try this, kind of defeats the flashlights purpose but gives some maps an ambience makeover (like on nine2) :D add "+set fog 1" to your command-line (not sure if it works just by adding it on autoexec.cfg)

routing - hey msparks, ive dug up and read some old ltk docs (and the debug.zip on your downloads page as well), how does the movenode operate?

movenode 10 500 600 700 - moves node 10 to x 500 y 600 z 700

how am i supposed to figure the xyz values? other than this, making route files seems fairly easy to me (well i didnt say i can make it good :P). also, why does AQ2 freeze when you have a .lnd file for the map youre loading without having the .crt file? everytime this happens i have to restart my PC.

smurphster
Advanced Member

Postby smurphster » Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:06 am

aq2 doesn't freeze, its just working very hard to compile a route file. that's why crtcompile.exe is included. run it after installing before you try to play a game.

fog: the implementations of fog that i've seen are very basic and crude. fog shows up everywhere, even in-doors. i think that's why it was never really popular. plus it slows servers & clients down a ton. it could be pretty cool if you could contain it out-doors and have the flashlight cast a stream of light when turned on. i highly doubt many systems would handle it but mSparks has proven me wrong several times...

Xeon
Advanced Member

Postby Xeon » Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:46 am

smurphster wrote: aq2 doesn't freeze, its just working very hard to compile a route file. that's why crtcompile.exe is included. run it after installing before you try to play a game.

awww man, does that mean i have to recompile the routes even if i did little to the lnd itself? thats alright with me but my problem is with huge lnd files (40+kb already takes eternity for my 300 Mhz PC to compile - cant really complain though)

fog: the implementations of fog that i've seen are very basic and crude. fog shows up everywhere, even in-doors. i think that's why it was never really popular. plus it slows servers & clients down a ton. it could be pretty cool if you could contain it out-doors and have the flashlight cast a stream of light when turned on. i highly doubt many systems would handle it but mSparks has proven me wrong several times...

i see. but i always thought they can be scriptable or something, not that im willing to try if it is, though if it isnt that tough i can give it a shot as well.

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:57 am

awww man, does that mean i have to recompile the routes even if i did little to the lnd itself

well kinda, you only need to recompile if you do things such as planarlink or add/delete nodes, if you dont recompile after doing this all sorts of wierd things happen (mostly crashes)
to this respect, nodefiles and their routes have a shared header, each time you save a nodefile (.lnd) it changes its header so the game knows the routefile doesn't belong to it anymore. it also has a 'compiler' version number, so if a dll goes out with a new compiler code it can let you know you need to recompile.

movenode is slightly different, since it doesn't change the nodefile enough to require a recompile, but atm it still changes the header and asks you to recompile when you save. Ive just not got round to changing this, since when moving nodes Ill do it in one sitting, moving nodes, adding/removing bots with botdebug on to test, then when Ive finished recompile it and have a final test. Since no-one else was apparently messing with the routes it didn't seem that important.

Ive been debating for a while whether to remove the compile code from the dll, I wanted to add a progress indicator, but had problems last time I tried so it never got done. (similar to the origonal mfc app and not updating the window). next time I come onto the routecode ill have a play and see what works best.

regarding the fog, I like it, but in order for it to work well its probably best importing the code into the exe (or maybee, like you said, maybee you fancy writing some scripts for the maps that we go out with now?) - (fog support was built into 1.6 but it also broke the dedicated server, so I recently had to disable it).
Yes I believe it is scriptable, and was orignally part of CGF, from the source
// try to read preferences from file action\cgf\fog\<mapname>.fog
// format for file is:
// // format: mapname density fogtype red green blue
should be some more details on the CGF site.

how am i supposed to figure the xyz values?

yeah this is a bit of a nightmare, basically I've been doing it by finding another node then using that to work out which direction to move it. but you've just inspired me to add 'pushnode' and 'pullnode' which will push and pull a node towards and away from you by a given amount. Ill also fix it so 'findnode' works when your a ghost.
© Mark 'mSparks' Parker 2010
<pubkey>AJXzWKeV59HaoUkmrCwP9f+kMr8aOIM
jMKy7ACsaRDCE/XuF0orj/jActtfWDMKjg/CixI7JP0Z6lbS99dc
86fxDIQOmfIU8BNYKPmlPA/uY3ZpT9/4iQY0XwKad5eJhDFW
cZ2Z4VUWJzlbuoX/QV4ihTVkr9JnyJb+fN9AOqXH9AQAB</pubkey>

Xeon
Advanced Member

Postby Xeon » Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:35 am

mSparks wrote: well kinda, you only need to recompile if you do things such as planarlink or add/delete nodes, if you dont recompile after doing this all sorts of wierd things happen (mostly crashes)
to this respect, nodefiles and their routes have a shared header, each time you save a nodefile (.lnd) it changes its header so the game knows the routefile doesn't belong to it anymore. it also has a 'compiler' version number, so if a dll goes out with a new compiler code it can let you know you need to recompile.

planarlink - now that sounds new to me, is this already present in the test version? okay, first things first, i hope this questions doesnt bother you with your AI development (or real life maybe) as, tbh, id want to see that first. besides, i need to know how their nav AI works before routing properly.

regarding the fog, I like it, but in order for it to work well its probably best importing the code into the exe (or maybee, like you said, maybee you fancy writing some scripts for the maps that we go out with now?) -  (fog support was built into 1.6 but it also broke the dedicated server, so I recently had to disable it).
Yes I believe it is scriptable, and was orignally part of CGF, from the source
// try to read preferences from file action\cgf\fog\<mapname>.fog
 // format for file is:
 // // format: mapname density  fogtype  red green blue
should be some more details on the CGF site.

i can try, but thats for the CGF alone (what and where folders do i need to store files this time?), and i have no idea how this would effect on older 3D cards (afaik, it has incompatibilities, but it should probably work with anything above TNT2). btw, i dont have CGF AI anymore (deleted with AQ2 back when i cant find a decent bot :( )

yeah this is a bit of a nightmare, basically I've been doing it by finding another node then using that to work out which direction to move it. but you've just inspired me to add 'pushnode' and 'pullnode' which will push and pull a node towards and away from you by a given amount. Ill also fix it so 'findnode' works when your a ghost.

wow, thanks man, but like i said, if this hinders, i prefer to see AI development first. are you familiar with PODBot (for CS) waypointing? i think thats pretty effective at the same time highly customizable

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:07 am

having played with fog a bit more this is what ive done... for now at least

it wont work properly from a server unless we dramatically change the client and maps, not a good idea.

however it works quite nicely as an 'underwater effect' and should prove usefull in making the bots less effective underwater.
© Mark 'mSparks' Parker 2010

<pubkey>AJXzWKeV59HaoUkmrCwP9f+kMr8aOIM
jMKy7ACsaRDCE/XuF0orj/jActtfWDMKjg/CixI7JP0Z6lbS99dc
86fxDIQOmfIU8BNYKPmlPA/uY3ZpT9/4iQY0XwKad5eJhDFW
cZ2Z4VUWJzlbuoX/QV4ihTVkr9JnyJb+fN9AOqXH9AQAB</pubkey>

Return to “LTK TBM Clients”