LTK TBM interim news

players come here
mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Tue Aug 19, 2003 5:14 pm

couple more bugs squashed, the last 'feature' to be added to 1.7 and its commital time :D

feature discription: linkfile texture scaling.
basically all the scaling details for the high res textures will now be taken from the linkfile.
why?
well if you use opengl, and high res textures, you wont need the .wal equivelent to ensure they get scalled correctly (so you can use high res texture paks properly, without having the origonal q2 disk or messing with any other files.)
© Mark 'mSparks' Parker 2010
<pubkey>AJXzWKeV59HaoUkmrCwP9f+kMr8aOIM
jMKy7ACsaRDCE/XuF0orj/jActtfWDMKjg/CixI7JP0Z6lbS99dc
86fxDIQOmfIU8BNYKPmlPA/uY3ZpT9/4iQY0XwKad5eJhDFW
cZ2Z4VUWJzlbuoX/QV4ihTVkr9JnyJb+fN9AOqXH9AQAB</pubkey>

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:58 am

more forum updates, I'll probably tweek the logo in the top left, since it feels a little out of place, beta testers now have access to the PC support section, and I'm still undecided as to whether to open this up to general members/guests. the reason for this is simple I dont want to give members access, and then remove it at a later date if questions arn't being answered (since atm that section is fairly full of usefull stuff, I'd hate to see it degrade into an area full of questions and no answers...

I also want to add general file downloads to the php scripts, no eta on when Ill get round to this, but it'll probably have to be soon.

Im almost tempted to update the in game route compiler code to utilise the updates to route compiler project, which I'd like todo soon, but I've some busy times ahead over the forseable future, and I dont what this to slow progress, both in growth and developement, I'm not sure whats happening, but fileplanet still hasn't mirror'd either the full install, source or any of the updates, So i'll probably send them a support query to see if we can get our own section set up.

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:29 pm

Ive now got a dll with the new fast route compiler code, and churning out quite a few new routes, I've also been going through the routes rated on the routes download page and been working on tweeking the AI for better manouvering (also highlighted how well their doing with grenades now, they seem to be racking up quite a few kills with them :P)

among other things I've been working through the zlib compression libruary, so the next release should be storing the .lnd/.crt pair in a .zip for improved disk space usage. I'll probably save the next release for when this is complete, and add all the new routes to the download page at the same time (it should also means you wont need to extract the routes form the .zip and they can be saved direct to the terrain folder)
EDIT: Ive also realised its probably a good idea to add an update checker to the game minibrowser, which can quickly inform you of any new routes and if theres any updates to the versions you have installed

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:52 am

Linux is now back up and working, with a great IDE called Kdevelop, which is going to make building and testing in linux a lot easier, it even looks like its got the rpm builder integrated which means I can put together a full rpm which will make installing on linux a whole host easier :D

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:51 am

just about to finish a new addition for route generation. This one addresses an issue we've been having with bad paths while making a route.
Everynow and again a link cant be made during the path creation because you've gone round a corner and the corner blocks the linking, it doesn't happen very often, but it does happen alot when mapping ladders, and occasionally in narrow corridors. Now when this happens it automatically places a node at the corner and links them all up.

Its little things like this which have been slowing progress recently, because it may not seem like a big deal at the time, but it plays havok with the route generation, and can be difficult to find and fix at a later date.

EDIT: There is of course, another benifit to this which will come into play when its eventually used on much larger maps, the node density can be greatly decreased, and then nodes automatically added to complex areas. :D, greatly reducing the overall number of nodes. The implications of which are obvious and all good.

RiviEr
Advanced Member

Postby RiviEr » Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:15 am

This just sounds better and better :)

Got any release date or beta test?

Xeon
Advanced Member

Postby Xeon » Fri Nov 28, 2003 4:18 am

i would love a new beta test, im a little strict with my HD space so i cant bring back my old routes unzipped :D

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:07 pm

well, basically, I reemmed off about 40 new routes but in general Ive been really dissappointed with their behaviour, with them performing well below the standard Ive grown to expect. On top of this, what I was expecting from area based goal selection didn't have the overall impact I was expecting, tbh I was generally surprised and annoyed that it didn't seem to be working properly.
however.... all is not lost, and Ive just found 3 huge bugs which were reeking all sorts of havok with their behaviour...
1.I'd forgotten that they had goal selection on enemy position re-implimented during testing, this was causing severe grouping and resulting in they behaving badly as a group, becomming to close together and not allowing them to form propper formations :- stopped this and they now formate properly :D

2. Huge bug in the path follow routine, which was very silly of me, given that this routine only needs to be extremly simple. Ive just re-written this properly so they can now move around maps properly following a correct path. (dont know how we missed this, its blatently obvious something was wrong as soon as ltk_showpath is enabled - they should never have paths through walls, even though it seemed to correct itself when they got close to the node in question)

3.During my conversion to zipped nodefiles, the sai files all got dropped out of the zip, a pain but not terminal.

soo. theres still a few more things todo, and theres a ton of nodefile testing coming up, as for putting a precise time on it, well Ive said 'soon' for nearly a month now, and it didn't pan out exactly as I was expecting.
todo list:
A Decent Line Of Fire routine: Edit: Done, another bug, was taking the L.O.F. measurement b4 they aimed, DOH!!
Some lift/button TBM_AI
some other secret stuff which may/may not make it into 1.7 final
solid game engine build (atm a few things dont work and the software renderers broken)

tiger@sound.net
Advanced Member

Postby tiger@sound.net » Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:47 pm

Congrats,,, mSparks !!!

(To make "errors" is a "human norm"...)

But, to simply accept the "Error of Our Ways" is a TRUE Programer's Norm. :)

You are striving towards various forms of VERY EFFICIENT "Artificial Intelligence" for Bots, with ALL of your efforts. (And, you are DOING IT with LOTs of limitations for the processor speeds and game-play needs.) THIS cannot be an easy chore to balance, folks???

So,,, mSparks,,, simply be the "Logic Scientist" that your are...
And expect to experiment, a little and then expect to change it, a little...
And THEN almost magically, always, EXPECT to finally see much better logic.
This, kind of, makes it a Science of programming our own Personal Logic? ;)

... Jim Tiger...
(A GOOD Structure or "Game Plan" usually helps to keep us, "Sane and Normal") B)
And NO apologies from mSparks to me, will EVER be needed, here!!! :)

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:07 pm

A little smidgen of news...
got to grips with the nehe OpenGL SDK today, must say i like the overall impliementation, the skeletal structures I'm about to start working on over the next few weeks will probably build on this tech to make game implimentation easier, also serving as a brush up on my c++ (rather than the ansi C i normally code in). Im also now happy with the 1.7final game code which, among other things is going to built on linux asap.

EDIT: the one thing I have noticed, which will probably need further consideration (not much, but its something to remember) is that this sdk (as with many others I've used, including the OpenAL code) have the y and z axis transposed, so in nehe code, the y axis is the vertical screen axis, and in q2 code the z axis is the vertical screen axis.

RiviEr
Advanced Member

Postby RiviEr » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:04 am

Fine, may there be any sort of release this week? i am kind of bored waiting now. :unsure:

-RiviEr

tiger@sound.net
Advanced Member

Postby tiger@sound.net » Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:33 am

mSparks wrote: A little smidgen of news...
EDIT: the one thing I have noticed, which will probably need further consideration (not much, but its something to remember) is that this sdk (as with many others I've used, including the OpenAL code) have the y and z axis transposed, so in nehe code, the y axis is the vertical screen axis, and in q2 code the z axis is the vertical screen axis.

... mSparks, I noticed that while I was doing my Quake 1 and 2 model modifications... Anything other then a Quake model editor and I usually had to, massively, rotate all of the model's frames. :(

(To me, "Axis Definitions" should be one of the very first options within an independent model editor... Like, "What movie or games are these models being created for,,, anyway???" Or else they will simply be unused models, for most of us.) ;)

... A small PS, here...
Could a timer option for your NPC Bots be included with your new release.
(I'm the one, who likes designing large cities or areas with way too many Bots for the good guys to fight, so that Stealth and further realistic tactics could be developed within some of your TBM Missions.)

Something like "Waiting_Time=999999" might be very nice? (And, of course, if that is in seconds then "999999" might be considered like "waiting FOREVER", in the average game, anyway?) :)

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:26 pm

ok, well the skeletal demo code & content is ready, which means I can play with the physics engine now.
<a href='http://www.cam-direct.co.uk/downloads/developer/skeldemo.zip' target='_blank'>download demo</a>
dont worry to much about the fps, its a 20,000 poly model, which is well over the norm, although I'll be interested to see what you're getting (also its built in the nehe SDK, of which fullscreen doesn't work right well.)

RiviEr
Advanced Member

Postby RiviEr » Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:33 pm

i get around 7 fps on a 1.4 ghz.

Strange is that the fps dont change when i sellect 1024 or lowest. Or the value of the bits.

-RiviEr

Xeon
Advanced Member

Postby Xeon » Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:54 am

RiviEr wrote: i get around 7 fps on a 1.4 ghz.

Strange is that the fps dont change when i sellect 1024 or lowest. Or the value of the bits.

-RiviEr

thats strange, i get 10 fps on 640x480 windowed and 16-bit color (8-bit seems to give me lower framerate)

all on a 300Mhz machine???

Return to “LTK TBM Clients”