spreading the net

Posts relating to the Pathfinder project
mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Wed May 28, 2003 11:56 am

OK so heres one of the next big additions for routefile building in the next release, turns simple, poorly linked routes into high quality routefiles.

best way is an example, before and after shots, so here you go (note, blue spheres are nodes, green lines are the links between them), which btw is another new addition 'showlinks' draws the links from nodes close to you. and the number of nodes draw his now been limited to prevent getspace overflows.
Before:
After:
N.B. only the links FROM 3 nodes directly underneath me, and the node directly in front are shown, any more links rendered would cause an overflow.

now tested to not to make impossible to reach links, and also fix some problems that can occure in routes.

This command completes almost instantainiously after execution and covers the entire map.

full nodefile generation is now fully implimented, but theres probably still a few 'tweeks' required.
© Mark 'mSparks' Parker 2010
<pubkey>AJXzWKeV59HaoUkmrCwP9f+kMr8aOIM
jMKy7ACsaRDCE/XuF0orj/jActtfWDMKjg/CixI7JP0Z6lbS99dc
86fxDIQOmfIU8BNYKPmlPA/uY3ZpT9/4iQY0XwKad5eJhDFW
cZ2Z4VUWJzlbuoX/QV4ihTVkr9JnyJb+fN9AOqXH9AQAB</pubkey>

tiger@sound.net
Advanced Member

Postby tiger@sound.net » Fri May 30, 2003 3:49 am

... I am trying to put together a small Mission cfg for the de_dust map and I might need a bit of help, here...

0. I start the game... Dohh Ohhh. ;)

1. And start a "map de_dust" Deathmatch with zero Bots, etc.

2. Then "showpath 1" in the Console...
("hk_showpath" and "planarlinks" do not work for me ??? )

3. "sv botdebug on"
(There will not be ANY Bots with zeroes at the Start)
But better being SAFE then Working along and becoming a cheap target. :)

4. "sv shownodes on"

And then I have a lot of blue balloons with shadows, even.

And occassionally there will be a green balloon between two blue ones...
( Is this a color-coded warning or something like "Delete Me, Please"... ???) :)

THEN, I will type "findnode", when I am on top of a balloon and I will see its Node Number and its X, Y and z coordinates... (Then I exit the Console, move to another balloon and then re-enter the Console and simply re-use that "findnode" command with the use of the up-arrow within the console.)

But, I have not seen any green-lines between any of these balloons?
(Which is not a problem, to me.) Because "less mess" sometimes equals "much better stuff" in my book. ;)

So,,, is there a SMOOTHER Way to do this simple Node Finding work???

(As your mapping options improve and vastly change,,, could a Mapping Menu option, from the Escape-key listing, be used to startup a mapping session, more properly with less possible errors?)

... Tiger...
( New Guys ask ALL of the really good, DUMB Questions.) B)

Xeon
Advanced Member

Postby Xeon » Fri May 30, 2003 4:39 am

hmm...i dont know, but from the way msparks sound to me, we would be treated to a gladiator-bot like idea where we wont bother making nodes.

which i say...cool :D

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Fri May 30, 2003 12:17 pm

planarlink and showlinks are commands for the new build which is coming out shortly.
these are just here as referance for when people can actually use them (kinda a preable of what you will be able to use, rather than before, where you had to wait for the documentation to be completed, its actually as much for me as it is you, I'd like some suggestions on what kind of missions you'd like to see, and any special requirements you have (for example, what kind of capabilities you would like to be able to assign to bots/remove from bots capabilities).
for example
some lines from a current (still being tested script)

Code: Select all

#next setup team spawn nodes: team1,name,standard skin,ninja skin,spawn node repeat for team2
"spawn","Rebels","male/odcqb","terror/terror",635,"Federation","aqmarine/centurion","terror/urbanterr",1;

is taken from my current one for de_dust, and sets up the start points, team name and skins for that map only. Would for example you like the capability to just use just standard team spawn positions? or add more possible spawn points?

#leaders name,start node,range(0=camp and wait for sighting),skill,speed (default=400),health,model/skin,weapon,buddy/name to guard.
"leader","droid3",1,15,10,400,100,"droideka/droideka","ahyperblaster","droid2";
"leader","droid2",1,100,10,400,100,"droideka/droideka","ahyperblaster";
"leader","droid",353,0,10,400,100,"droideka/droideka","ahyperblaster";

I'm probably also going to add a 'team' definition to leaders and hostages, so they can be on either team (atm hostages are rescued by the first team, and leaders belong to the second)
leaders are added in reverse order, currently I haven't got 'speed' working properly, but it will come.
if for example you set a server up so there is only one bot on team 2, that bot will be added with the capabilities of "droid", which stands and waits to see someone on the opposing team at node 353 before being activated (although it in the future it could also be temporarily activated by other team members calls for help).
If you set it so there are three bots are on team 2, all three leaders are added, droid like before, droid2, which has a limited range from node 1 (although this probably covers the entire map) and driod3 which will work together with droid2.

hostages are added whatever the number of bot settings are, and not taken into account when calculating the number of players, and seem to be working just fine now. (minus the team definition)

I'm also thinking of maybee adding a 'metal' definition for leaders and hostages, so the model would 'spark' instead of bleeding. but that wont come untill later.

all the items after skill are optional, and the bots will just use the standard settings

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Fri May 30, 2003 12:24 pm

I am currently planning to have a (non public) "tech demo" release out for about monday/tuesday, which will be aimed at making and testing the mission scripts, I'll going to include 4/5 test scripts as examples to help build them. I'm aiming to keep the size of the first releases as small as possible to help limit bandwidth.

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Fri May 30, 2003 12:28 pm

Blue nodes = standard 'move' nodes
Green = jump
red = water
theres probably a few more, but these are all thats needed, I'm just about to add 'trigger' nodes so bots can use buttons, not sure what colour these will be yet.
the current release doesn't have the capability to make new routes, just process and fix old ones, this however is already in the code I have here atm. (as you will see from the inclusion of some new maps, and removal of some others)

tiger@sound.net
Advanced Member

Postby tiger@sound.net » Sat May 31, 2003 10:32 am

... mSparks, I really didn't mean to disturb you with my trival confusion. :(
(I was hoping for a simple HTML address for my very dumb mapping and node questions.)

And,,, "Green = jump... " (Man... Do I feel like a BIG Dummy.)

(So,,, that's why a bot, on a first-floor area, will get itself hurt from a normal fall,,, while it should be simply moving and then dropping down to the ground-floor.)

Instead of simply falling down one floor, the bot will do a default JUMP because of a green sphere between the two blue ones and thereby, put some more KILLER heigth into the FALL.

So,,, it sounds like certain green spheres need to be deleted before the obvious happens, over and over again. :(

For Buttons, specially physically small ones... How about a clear white sphere, so these smaller buttons are still visible?

And about additional Mission ideas... Not me... I have said ENOUGH, already... And I don't want to get FRAGGED from your board. B)

But, I have to say this... How about some "safety spheres" in purple or what-ever?

And they could act like "safety nodes" to tell the bots to stay NEAR these spheres and don't go dodging UP and AWAY to a deep valley, near there???

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Sat May 31, 2003 11:41 am

So,,, it sounds like certain green spheres need to be deleted before the obvious happens, over and over again.

fortunately not, as time goes on, bots will use nodefiles less and less for general movement, and they will simply provide a guide as to what is required to get from one place to another, an example of this can already be seen in the doors, the LTK bot used door nodes to find out when to open doors, this is already integral part of the AI. with reqards to jumping these again will be simple guides, this is what the 'pre-knowledge AI' section of the website is for (although I haven't integrated generation of that side yet, its still in the old code) this holds automatically generated infomation about jumping/camping and several other aspects, that the bots can learn by playing against each other (e.g. team formations) this is why the special AI is optional, you can either download several rounds of previously learnt infomation or have them learn it from scratch.

This code is waiting for the 'bot report' code to be implimented, this will generate a report along the lines of

AI version
Mapname
Statistics after 10 minates: number of suisides, average time spent in sight of an enemy, Average Frags per hour, distance covered and nodes not reached.
Statistics after 20 minates: number of suisides, average time spent in sight of an enemy, Average Frags per hour, distance covered and nodes not reached.
% difference between the to timeframes.

This is because without these reports, telling exactly how well certain implimentations work is extremely difficult.

thinking about it, it wont really matter what colour the nodes are, since they will have to be placed behind the button and as such will be invisable.

oopz

Postby oopz » Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:29 am

Hey, just wanted to thank you for putting that information up...I've been trying to make my own missions for a while now and couldn't do much with my limited node information (Ie. Going off of the starting nodes of the teams and trying to place my hostages/leaders one or two nodes away)
Now I should be on the right track to turning out some missions, I may even submit some.
One more thing,though; Could I have some clearer information on how to create leaders? the sample cfg. is either telling me what to do wrong or I just have really high expectations on the camping ability of leaders.

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:40 pm

right Im just working on some bugfixes to the latest release, then Ill knock up some more details of whats entiled in the movie script making
for now, theres a bit of a discussion on this <a href='http://www.cam-direct.co.uk/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=24&t=123' target='_blank'>here</a> (its in the members area, so you'll have to be logged in...)

Return to “Pathfinder”