Planarlinks?

Posts relating to the Pathfinder project
Xeon
Advanced Member

Postby Xeon » Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:29 pm

new routes are good, whatever you see fit, might be worth noting something tho, it appears the route compiler code in-game is an old version, Ive just been making new routes for murder and lighthouse, and noticed that sometimes routes wont compile with the ingame compiler, but would with pathfinder or routefinder. once compiled with these, the .lnds they saved compiled fine, so the in-game compiler code must be missing some of the 'fixing' algorithms for fixing broken routes.

also, dont forget to save routes after doing a 'planarlink'
Pathfinder is the easiest wat to identify any possible problems with a route. (typically they're just issues with paths that only go one way)

this is the kind of answer ive been waiting for - guidelines and notes. until now, i have no idea on what kind of maps that are more preferable to bots so thanks for that little clearing. you still havent mentioned what "planarlink" means and does so i have no idea if ive done that magically in my routes. i cant even begin to read the Pathfinder Project as it seems to be geared more towards AI analysts (trust me, i cant understand 3/4 of the doc, for obvious reason). i just felt like doing routes as ive done waypoints for PODBot before (other than to help this little community of course)

and good thing you mentioned about the ingame compiler, i think one of the routes i gave you was compiled with it (something small, probably teamdepo) or probably not, i cant remember

tbh, due to the lack of info my part, i end up re-routing the whole map, not tweaking it with commands (they are kind of alien to me :P), so im restricting my Celeron 300 to smaller maps/routes/both.

also sometimes, the compile just repeats to certain %, which is kind of bugger for someone on low-end when compiling a 44k file :D

also, it might be a good idea to avoid maps with lots of ladders (especially ones that are dangerous to fall off) untill the next release, I've just been testing some new ladder code on murder and it seems to be working much better, with little or no need to modify ladder nodes after creation.

time to delete the alley1 route i just finished (ill just repeat it, lots of broken routes anyway):D

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:23 pm

the compile just repeats to certain %

whats happened is, the compiler found a problem fixed it, and deleted one of the nodes, this messes up the entire routetable and it has to start again, it'll only happen while your making routes and theres not much todo about it.

1.6 has both the planarlink and showlinks commands, planarlink automatically adds links between nodes that are 100% reachable, saving you the hassle of running to and from every single node. its called 'planarlink' because it links nodes that are visable to each other on a plane (such as a level wide open space).
to planarlink a node file simply type planarlink in the console, and then save the nodes and recompile. it also links drops that dont cause damage, for instance if you have a ledge which you can jump down from but not back up, simply run all the way along the ledge, then drop down and add nodes underneath it, initially after you do this the bots will only know that you can drop down where you fell from, after the planarlink command one way links will be added all the way across the top of the ledge to the lower ledge (unless its possible to jump back up to the ledge, in which case the paths will be two way).

until now, i have no idea on what kind of maps that are more preferable

Ill try and explain a little....
you dont really need to understand exactly how the routefinder works, but understanding what a nodefile is can be very usefull. Basically a nodefile contains single 'links' from one point in space to another, which tell the bot "you can go in a straight line to get from here to here" routefinder then compiles this infomation so if the bots want to get from point A to point C they know they can travel in a straight line from point A to point B, then turn and face point C and go in another straight line till they get there.
So the best maps for bots to handle will always be one where moving around is the simplest to you. chances are, if you find moving around on a map tricky, they will too.

A routetable is simply a table with infomation about which node to go to next, for example if your at point A and want to get to point C in this case it would tell them to go to node B next.
It all only starts to get more complicated if your at point C and cant get to point A by going to point B (such as if you fell from point B to point C, and cant get back up).

planar link is described <a href='http://www.cam-direct.co.uk/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=7&t=96' target='_blank'>here</a>
© Mark 'mSparks' Parker 2010
<pubkey>AJXzWKeV59HaoUkmrCwP9f+kMr8aOIM
jMKy7ACsaRDCE/XuF0orj/jActtfWDMKjg/CixI7JP0Z6lbS99dc
86fxDIQOmfIU8BNYKPmlPA/uY3ZpT9/4iQY0XwKad5eJhDFW
cZ2Z4VUWJzlbuoX/QV4ihTVkr9JnyJb+fN9AOqXH9AQAB</pubkey>

Xeon
Advanced Member

Postby Xeon » Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:22 am

thanks man, this gives me a new start :D

Xeon
Advanced Member

Postby Xeon » Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:32 am

oh, btw, i dont know if this has been answered but, is it just me or showlink just dont work? ive tried sv showlink on/1/showlink 1/on and its just being said out like an unknown command? i found a showclamp command though but it doesnt seem to do anything either.

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:59 am

sv shownodes on
sv showlinks on

links will then be shown from any nodes close to you, it can be a pain because each node/link is an entity so its prone to msg overflows (doesn't crash, just 'jams' you in position untill the number of entities is reduced)

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:33 pm

actually, there are some new routes I would really like to see...
I've been wanting to get round to it for a while, but while your playing dont see why not give it a try,
the standard maps in baseq2...
if you've copied bq2's pak0.pak to the baseq2 directory you can already change to them, that way I can have a play with making up a decent single player storyline for movie scripts. (since they already link 1 map to another, and I can add dots from the map entities).
would be nice. and help with testing no end.

Warclub
Advanced Member

Postby Warclub » Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:35 am

I've been playing with this and have done the q2dm1.dm2.dm3 but having trouble with dm4.
Its a node on a ladder...ive tried addlink but it says already linked and i have been trying to grasp the Movenode 10 500 600 700 concept .
LOL im so confused..sometimes my node just disappears or doesnt move at all.
someone point me as to where to go so i can grasp this please. or give me a short explaination PLease.

Return to “Pathfinder”