Advanced Member

Postby tiger@sound.net » Wed May 28, 2003 2:54 am

First things, first...

TITLE : DE_DUST For Action Quake
FILENAME : de_dust.zip
AUTHOR : Originally by DaveJ. Converted by NiceAss
DATE : 15.06.2001
EMAIL ADDRESS : CP_Master@DrunkenBastards.com
HOMEPAGE URL : <a href='http://networkchat.hypermart.net/' target='_blank'>http://networkchat.hypermart.net/</a>
(probably won't find anything here.)
.zip CONTENTS : pak9.pak

(Lara Croft from "Tomb Raiders" or some Marines from "Black Hawk Down" would certainly enjoy this very well done desert town with EXCELLENT floor and wall details.)

... And "Thanks" to mSparks for making it available !!!
(PS... Your "clist route compiler.exe" ran perfectly.)

Then I did my "Dirty-Dozen Bot" test and it was a JOY not hearing "I'm Hit" from a falling Bot... :)

The Bots would start-off, in a very tight group, find a door or a narrow place and then I suspect that your "Get Off My Butt,,, Buddy" logic would back them, up and space them, out, VERY NICELY and they looked much more like a normal team with patrol-spacing.

Also, your Ninja did very well, in teams of two versus one opponent... But, I suspect that they need a little "Stay Back and Wait,,, Buddy" logic around HOT gun-fight situations. (I couldn't tell if it was the enemy or their team-mates shooting them, when they would BRAVELY jump-over and CHARGE right-into ALL of that gun fire.)

So,,, perhaps, the Ninja need to be held-back, in case the enemy jumps over or attacks their team-mates from behind??? (PS... "Rear Guard" work is VERY important to a very small team.) Just ask any Navy Seal member...

(Thanks, again.)

Xeon
Advanced Member

Postby Xeon » Wed May 28, 2003 3:59 am

yeah, i never imagined how cool aq2 gameplay on de_dust can get. thats bots comments aside. the map design is simply amazing that it can get universal as well, big kudos to DaveJ. map seems larger though.

cany say much about the bots, but the new crtcompiler seems to run far longer than the regular ones. i havent watched much of them yet as im busy figuring out where they are, but im checking that certain spot they seldom reach. ill report agian later, maybe.

smurphster
Advanced Member

Postby smurphster » Wed May 28, 2003 6:20 am

the majority of aq2 (and q2) maps have rediculous proportions. the average door is twice the size it needs to be :huh: . thus when you convert a map from another game, it often looks kinda goofy...

i'll have to try that map out. i never liked it much in CS since there are really only a few paths you can go and players become too predictable. that seems to be the same in a lot of CS maps... perhaps that's the reason i don't like the game much.

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Wed May 28, 2003 9:42 am

heh, yeah, i liked it much more in AQ2....

anyhow, I've been spending some time finishing up the character AI (namely hostages and leaders) the capabilities are a bit long to explain, but hopefully it should be fairly easy to assign pretty much any characters for movie scripts (aka mission scripts)
as an example they move from setting up a pair of driodekas with hyperblasters that work as a team (and before you ask, yes you can deflect hyperblaster rounds with a sword and use an enemies shots as a weapon), to setting up a load of high speed hard ass aliens with just a few changes in definition description. I've even been playing a bit of hostage rescue with johnny5 who attacks enemys with a railgun :P

if your wondering why I mention hyperblasters and railguns, its because for leaders, in a mission, you can assign AI characters pretty much any of AQ2s/Q2's weapons for the character to use, otherwise the game remains unchanged (and for Q2 weapons the model just uses its weapon.md2 vweap for the player).

couple this up with all the movie character models on polycount and it should be pretty easy to add support for almost any movie :)
© Mark 'mSparks' Parker 2010
<pubkey>AJXzWKeV59HaoUkmrCwP9f+kMr8aOIM
jMKy7ACsaRDCE/XuF0orj/jActtfWDMKjg/CixI7JP0Z6lbS99dc
86fxDIQOmfIU8BNYKPmlPA/uY3ZpT9/4iQY0XwKad5eJhDFW
cZ2Z4VUWJzlbuoX/QV4ihTVkr9JnyJb+fN9AOqXH9AQAB</pubkey>

tiger@sound.net
Advanced Member

Postby tiger@sound.net » Thu May 29, 2003 1:48 am

... Like,,, "Wow",,, mSparks !!!

From the sandy regions of our middle-eastern wars to the sandy worlds of Star Wars with the use of some "droideka" robots. (Am I correct in the spelling ?)

<a href='http://www.starwars.com/databank/droid/droideka/index.html' target='_blank'>http://www.starwars.com/databank/droid/dro...deka/index.html</a>

And excuse me, here, please... But would they be a "third team" for the other two teams to compete against, while they are, both, trying to "Rescue the Hostage"?

Also, I could see something, here, that might be EXCELLENT and very similar to the old classic "War of Worlds" movie, by using only the normal Action weapons versus the Alien's rayguns, perhaps??? (Of course, these Aliens, without UFOs because our doors are much too small, would not have their impervious shields, in our case.) But still, they could be VERY TOUGH stuff. :)

... Tiger ...
(Thanks for these great TBM Story or Movie possibilities,,, mSparks !!!)

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Thu May 29, 2003 2:14 pm

Also, I could see something, here

basically, I'm plugged back into the home network now :)

what does this mean?

well, I'm just preparing myself for a 40 hour plus solid coding session, give me a day or so after that to set up the linux server and I'll have a tech demo up and running to demonstrate some of the new stuff.

then I'll be hanging around for the beta testing of the code and getting ready to build the full install and update the website.

But would they be a "third team"
basically, they are simple plug ins for 2 team movies, I've got the release ready from a player point of view, but since its got so much more content I'm going to need to contact a few people to request to use their stuff.

I may introduce more 'bot teams' depending on what movie script writers requirements are, but I've got it implimented in a way such as adding new weapons, and other such content is just a case of adding a few definitions.

tiger@sound.net
Advanced Member

Postby tiger@sound.net » Fri May 30, 2003 3:17 am

mSparks wrote:
Also, I could see something, here

basically, I'm plugged back into the home network now :)

what does this mean?

.... Basically, I was seeing our classic Action Q2 weapons and of course, their sounds, being used against Alien weapons with their buzzing and whoosing noises from Quake2. :)

(Almost all of the classic Alien or Martian movies have the U.S. Army or any of the world's forces fighting with normal WW II weapons.) That's all... Nothing big... Just, an interesting idea for several AQ2 Movie Scenarios.

... Tiger ...
(Or,,, do you want to, gently, sneak back into a Quake 2 mode with their all of weapons,,, sounds,,, etc,,, etc ???) But, now, we do have a Ninja Sword that could easily become a Star Wars Light Saber, perhaps? B)

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Fri May 30, 2003 2:22 pm

which is what the tech demos intended to help you do :P, I'm aiming to make it as versatile as possible, but I still need to concentrate on certain aspects.

Return to “LTK TBM Clients”