H1

players come here
tiger@sound.net
Advanced Member

Postby tiger@sound.net » Fri May 16, 2003 4:31 am

mSparks wrote: doh!
yes, well kinda
gib_mode 0
but I never never linked it to a cvar, I've just added it now, it will be gib_mode 0 in the next release.

... Thanks mSparks ... (I will give this a try in my configz.)

And btw, since we are talkiing about "Basic Game Effects, is there a way to reduce the "Snowballs" and "Tidal-waves" that a target produces when they bleed... (Also, darker Reds and Browns might help, here, quite a bit with the over-all reality of this bleeding.)

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Fri May 16, 2003 9:38 am

darker browns and reds: yeah nice idea, + not hard todo.
general bloodspurts: I'll have a think about, I know what you mean, but a 'turn down amount of blood' probably isn't the best way todo it.
maybee a gore_level cvar (0-10) which controls everything from blood, to splats to gibs.
© Mark 'mSparks' Parker 2010
<pubkey>AJXzWKeV59HaoUkmrCwP9f+kMr8aOIM
jMKy7ACsaRDCE/XuF0orj/jActtfWDMKjg/CixI7JP0Z6lbS99dc
86fxDIQOmfIU8BNYKPmlPA/uY3ZpT9/4iQY0XwKad5eJhDFW
cZ2Z4VUWJzlbuoX/QV4ihTVkr9JnyJb+fN9AOqXH9AQAB</pubkey>

smurphster
Advanced Member

Postby smurphster » Fri May 16, 2003 4:43 pm

more blood and gibbs!!!! and whats wrong with bright red blood? :D

tiger@sound.net
Advanced Member

Postby tiger@sound.net » Sat May 17, 2003 5:52 pm

smurphster wrote: more blood and gibbs!!!! and whats wrong with bright red blood? :D

"... whats wrong with expanding the audience up to 50 percent??? " (ie: All of those ladies and girls, who might like to play.) :)

BUT, on your "Game", you would still have all those Bloody options, set to the MAX, anyway... (And, for even more reality, I kind of miss the Damage Skins option from long, long ago.) Needless to say, but I really hated it, when QUAKE 2 arrived to chase a whole world of ever-evolving QUAKE, away... :( BUT, ACTION Q2 made up for this VERY NICELY !!! ) :D

Xeon
Advanced Member

Postby Xeon » Sat May 17, 2003 7:23 pm

when i made the request of the gib toggle, i just remembered when the first time i played AQ2 with CGF, theres no gibs. im trying to get the AQ2 feel in its purest form.

the performance is nothing too bad in my PC though, but i would prefer the gibbing where theyre actually bodypart gibs (like in SOF), but then again, that would probably mean changing the models or something like it.

smurphster
Advanced Member

Postby smurphster » Sun May 18, 2003 12:55 am

gibb are random i believe. or were, i should say, in earlier versions of aq2. when they got rid of it, HC's and sometimes shotguns would launch bodies above the sky and they'd float up there. hehe... those were the days

IMHO, there's nothing you can do to change a FPS to make it more attractive to women. if they play any games at all, its card games, board games, sims, and the occasional racing game or something. they won't touch FPS's. if they do, gore is probably one thing they enjoy in games so having options like that wouldn't attract women to the game. besides, it would have to be a server variable so the only time they'd be able to control it is playing alone.

that doesn't mean i'm opposed to the idea, i'm just saying if you're expecting an option like that to make it more attractive to a certain type of gamer, its not going to have that big of an effect (definitely not 50%).

i do think its a good idea though. if people want a more realistic game with less bleeding and darker blood, it would be nice to be able to set it accordingly (thus, reducing lag as well). if someone wants gibs and yellow or green blood, that would be cool too (ever played serious sam? hippie!!!).

i'm tired out, more later :D

tiger@sound.net
Advanced Member

Postby tiger@sound.net » Sun May 18, 2003 5:15 am

smurphster wrote: gibb are random i believe. or were, i should say, in earlier versions of aq2. when they got rid of it, HC's and sometimes shotguns would launch bodies above the sky and they'd float up there. hehe... those were the days...

... You are probably very right about my "50 percent" guess... (And making it optional for TBM to play and sound like a paint-ball game may never fly.) But, I too like your idea of more reality in hits...

To me, when hit, they should stop for a bit and then, via gravity only, fall backwards or stumble forwards and then, possibly, downwards...

("Flying", I try to leave to Chinese Kung-Fu and some VERY over-done Hollywood "action" movies.) :)

When I recently tested TBM with about 6 bots per team, I saw my Ninja bravely launch himself with a jump down a steep hill-side... He received multiple HITs and was lifted-up, repeatedly while being "volley ball" tapped around for quite sometime by the enemy shots.

(True... It was an amazing action-reaction sequence... But for a "purer" reality, I suspect that Quake2 really needs to adjust its rules, quite a bit, towards actual "Earth gravity" and "normal" firearm ballistics.) B)

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Sun May 18, 2003 4:50 pm

Xeon wrote: im trying to get the AQ2 feel in its purest form.

I'm well aware of users desire not to alter AQ2 w/ respect to gameplay and 'feel' and have many times had to go back and remove/tweek features in order to maintain this.

its a constant balance between the choice of adding things that would be nice, and not changing it so much that its no-longer AQ2, this is one of the reasons I'm considering 'action classic' gamplay modes, which quickly set stuff up so so the feel is exactly like AQ2.

I already ran into something like this a few years back when I first started tbm, with regards to damage skins, back then I really liked the idea, and was in fact the first thing I got working in AQ2, the problem with it was it simply changed the entire feel of the game, and simply didn't look right.

With respects to women, Smurph pretty much hit the nail on the head with
its card games, board games, sims, and the occasional racing game or something
. Something my girlfriend said while we were watching platoon pretty much summs up why. "If women were in charge there would never be any wars". whilst probably not true (:P) I guess the point is, as men, we love the whole war, chopping, blood and guts (to varying levels) scene, which is what makes the FPS's so attractive, women, as a rule, find this behaviour repulsive and as such keep away from such games.
obviously Im only talking statisticaly, and theres always exceptions, but I guess its one of those differences you cant avoid.
© Mark 'mSparks' Parker 2010

<pubkey>AJXzWKeV59HaoUkmrCwP9f+kMr8aOIM
jMKy7ACsaRDCE/XuF0orj/jActtfWDMKjg/CixI7JP0Z6lbS99dc
86fxDIQOmfIU8BNYKPmlPA/uY3ZpT9/4iQY0XwKad5eJhDFW
cZ2Z4VUWJzlbuoX/QV4ihTVkr9JnyJb+fN9AOqXH9AQAB</pubkey>

Return to “LTK TBM Clients”