a little request

players come here
Xeon
Advanced Member

Postby Xeon » Tue Apr 15, 2003 4:21 pm

hey mSparks,

i have a request, this may sound bitchy and all but, can you please compile <a href='ftp://freeftp.game.net/pub/games/quake2/unofficial_patches' target='_blank'>the unofficial 3.21 version source code</a> for me. oh and i want it to use action folder by itself (just like in your q2ice engine executable) as i dont use Q2 anymore and im just playing AQ2.

dont get me wrong, i like the q2ice engine. but it is quite slower compared to the original q2 and since i dont use any of its gfx features (i luv the env sounds though), it simply isnt practical on my end to use the q2ice engine just for its little extra bells and whistles. i dont care if it doesnt use A3D, all i really want in LTKTBM is the ever improving Bot AI anyways.

hoping for your kind consideration. thanks in advance :)

smurphster
Advanced Member

Postby smurphster » Tue Apr 15, 2003 7:03 pm

not sure about this but... wouldn't that be equivalent to installing the full version and replacing quake2.exe with q2ice.exe? of course you'd have to change your shortcuts to reflect the change. it would look like q2ice but it would be the regular vanila q2 engine. you could also remove some files after that

Xeon
Advanced Member

Postby Xeon » Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:05 pm

uhmmm....thats not exactly what im planning. im thinking of using my own vq2 action folder as it has more maps, terrains and models, but youre suggestion would be okay too as i would end-up with the desired speed-up. on the other hand, i may not be able to setup my other models and maps so i may get stuck with 15 maps

it sounds somewhat selfish because i cant really be arsed to redownload all the maps INDIVIDUALLY (i did so because i cant find a good/working link to the official mappacks). and it would be hella tedious to set it up again.

but i came to think of it, some aq2 maps probably have textures fetched from the original pak0.pak file (i just played teamdepo for the first time, so sue me :P).

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:24 am

ok, I'm not 100% sure what your asking, but let me clarify a little.

I believe you are asking to have a standard version of q2 to play AQ2, and also the fact that your probably missing textures from the full installation to use the other maps.

One thing I will say, if your using engineRC2, drop back to standard the origonal AQ2.exe, this is for two reasons: A3D is effectively only demo version in that release, it needs a lot of optimisation, and will definately kill the speed (although with RC2 you can turn it off), second theres some new particle effects which need optimising .

I will be updating the engine RC shortly with a new version that has the particle effects reduced, because I've had a noticable speed decrease throughout the range.

With regards to Q2, you 'should' be able to run the build with a standard Q2.exe in the installation folder, with the command line +set game action (although it might through up some errors because it may try to find files in the baseq2 directory that arn't there)

The best way to add support for more maps atm is to use Qped on the downloads page to extract all the textures from quake2's pak0.pak into your action folder. (a lot of AQ2 maps use about 60% Q2's textures)
once you've done this, and got it working, copy and paste all the files from your origonal AQ's 'maps' and 'textures' directory into the new one, and there you go, AQ2 with just an action folder, and all the maps you had origonally.
© Mark 'mSparks' Parker 2010
<pubkey>AJXzWKeV59HaoUkmrCwP9f+kMr8aOIM
jMKy7ACsaRDCE/XuF0orj/jActtfWDMKjg/CixI7JP0Z6lbS99dc
86fxDIQOmfIU8BNYKPmlPA/uY3ZpT9/4iQY0XwKad5eJhDFW
cZ2Z4VUWJzlbuoX/QV4ihTVkr9JnyJb+fN9AOqXH9AQAB</pubkey>

Xeon
Advanced Member

Postby Xeon » Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:22 pm

I believe you are asking to have a standard version of q2 to play AQ2, and also the fact that your probably missing textures from the full installation to use the other maps.

exactly, but im not missing anything, maybe the textures, but mostly just speed. i dont complain on the A3D feature myself, but on my end it just sounded like vanilla quake 2 (crispier noise, sounds, etc). my main problem is the q2ice engine, it is just plain slower and not that beneficial on my end even for some reason it mentions that its supposed to be faster.

and with my PC specs i really wouldnt want to risk speed with anything else, which is somewhat vital to my enjoyment. you probably get the drift by now.

With regards to Q2, you 'should' be able to run the build with a standard Q2.exe in the installation folder, with the command line +set game action (although it might through up some errors because it may try to find files in the baseq2 directory that arn't there)

it didnt run. ive already tried your suggestion exactly and it gives me a colormap.pcx not found error.

but since you mentioned that 60% of the textures were used in most AQ2 maps, i cancel this request myself, thanks anyway :)

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:55 pm

you can fix the colourmap.pcx file error by copging it to "baseq2/pics" from "action/pics"

Xeon
Advanced Member

Postby Xeon » Sat May 24, 2003 8:26 pm

i just have to bring this up as i would make a little request.....again hehehe (i know you have some job problems, so sorry if this sounds selfish).

can you please recompile the aq2.exe for me with support for GL_SGIS_multitexture over GL_ARB_multitexture? <a href='http://idle.iceware.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=155' target='_blank'>details and needed alteration posted here</a>

thanks in advance :)

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Sat May 24, 2003 9:34 pm

this should just about do it, I've not tested it tho, so let me no if anythings wrong, that file is actuall part of the gl render, hence its aq2_gl.dll, not aq2.exe
<a href='http://www.cam-direct.co.uk/downloads/aq2_gl.zip' target='_blank'>download</a>

Xeon
Advanced Member

Postby Xeon » Sun May 25, 2003 9:46 am

hey thanks for the time msparks, im done. nothing seems to change though (im expecting some speed increase, probably because of the main aq2.exe):( ,

thanks again :)

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Sun May 25, 2003 7:04 pm

expecting some speed increase

I have a bit of a WIP GL renderer (although it will change completely for the next release) I'm pretty sure this is the one for the install thats out atm (there have been some structure changes to the images for the next release, but this one should work fine)

<a href='http://www.cam-direct.co.uk/downloads/updates/aq2_glRC1.zip' target='_blank'>download me now</a>

Xeon
Advanced Member

Postby Xeon » Sun May 25, 2003 9:06 pm

i dunno, but it ended up slower here by about 10 fps :|

btw, have you managed to make stainmaps work? ive never seen it myself personally and ive tested it in different renderer configs (texture compression on/off, 8-bit textures on/off, gl_dynamic 1/2), and even with your WIP GL, Q2ICE 1.14/1.15 but to no avail.

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Mon May 26, 2003 1:59 am

:(, what average fps you getting normally?, I think I know what it might be, that dll ignores the 'high res image' loading setting, and loads them if it finds them, do you know if you've high res images set to on or off?

I'm going to be looking further into the whole stainmaps thing, personally I've never seen them, but I know others who've had no trouble getting them, and others who've had problems but fixed them.

Xeon
Advanced Member

Postby Xeon » Mon May 26, 2003 10:14 am

mSparks wrote:

:(, what average fps you getting normally?, I think I know what it might be, that dll ignores the 'high res image' loading setting, and loads them if it finds them, do you know if you've high res images set to on or off?

I'm going to be looking further into the whole stainmaps thing, personally I've never seen them, but I know others who've had no trouble getting them, and others who've had problems but fixed them.

45 fps has to be the highest ive received (this means walking alone or fighting in a low r_speed area or both) in 800x600 (the only res i play) and thats using the gl dll right from the full install. since theres no framerate meter in vanilla aq2 (or q2 itself for that matter), i judge it by a program called fraps, and it receives 45-70 fps average (probably 20-30 fps on high r_speed areas and 10-20 on worst cases)

im sure the WIP dll wont load the high-res textures as ive already deleted them before testing. besides, with the hq textures on, i got an average framerate lower than 20 (27 on best cases).

going to try that dlight_cutoff setting. im excited too see blood stains on aq2 :ph34r:

Return to “LTK TBM Clients”