just some thoughts i've had using your fine mod for a few days:
Hi! i've come from the original AQ2, after a few years' break. here's some things i've noticed and would like to discuss.
update: improved formatting, maybe someone will respond to my other points now, please?
- without the original quake2 PAKs there are all sorts of errors - missing sounds, textures etc entering maps. not sure if you're using high res textures and errors refer to old .wal files, it matters? perhaps someone with a lot of time, like me, needs to go through and work out what's needed and pak it all up nicely so a dozen or so maps included work perfectly out of the box (sounds like a LOT of work :/)
- is there an option to turn sword off for classic aq2 style? also any other changes you've made to the gameplay? - imho it should be possible to play like the last official version of aq2. please!
- if you drop a sword, there's no way to pick it up (?!) this seems to happen easily when you press "drop weapon" twice. also what about "invdrop" - the function of these two commands seems to be inconsistent and depend on what weapon you are holding, what's in your inventory and maybe other things - very strange & confusing for newbies
- bots kill themselves too much, especially when falling down...
- ladders - have i forgotten how to get down ladders, or has it got harder? any tips please!
- lots of terrain files aren't included, there are on your page, any reason for not bundling them? the ones with just lnd are very small - do they need the crt files, or just the lnd? at some point zip support was added, great reduction in size..
- this'll probably be taken care of in the next full package, but there's a bit of a DLL mess, with sound dlls in the root mod dir, in the patch they go in \sound, also i got in a mess with which openal32.dll to use, & have not managed to get 3d sound stable (i'll start a seperate thread for this!)
- some confusion over menus:
- which parts are current, which are redundant e.g. the deathmatch flags
- 'effects' the default at the top of the main menu, shoudn't most of that be on the video menu.
- organise video and sound options into their correct places, perhaps put both top level categories.
- player setup is under "start" (Id's original design i know, but why not make it better)
- ditch menu entries that really arent used any more like lookspring or screen size.
- sensible defaults e.g. consider changing video default to opengl 640x480?
- add useful things that people have to edit .cfg files for like gl_modulate slider, shadows toggle or bsplatlimit box.
- weapon respawn in deathmatch. when someone dies, after a few seconds weapons go back to original places. was this how aq2 originaly was? seems odd, i guess if guns were dropped somehwere inaccesible you'd have a problem, i don't remember how it was handled..
- in teamplay, no clear indication of when a round is over? was it always like this? i don't remember getting confused and wondering what was going on
- akimbo pistols (black) don't match single pistol (silver) - looks funny when switching between 1 and 2! this may be my fault for messing with paks? maybe the hud stuff can be made bigger now we're all (well most of us?) using higher resolutions.
- this is minor but maybe you can fix. the menus e.g. choose team have key instructions hardcoded, they don't make any sense if you've changed them. maybe you can put all in game text into an editable text files or something.
- my computer (1.2Ghz, 512MB RAM) freezes for a second when adding each bot. is this normal? can it be fixed?
more things i'll add here as i think of them, some of these are little things but fixing them could help get more new blood into the game
- the bloodsplats are really big. are they meant to be huge blobs?, with little flecks in the middle . i'd attach a screenshot if i knew how. after a while the level looks unbelievable, just painted red almost. or this something wrong with my setup, or is this part of the fun
<span style='color:purple'>- it's meant to be like this. if you don't like it, set gore to 1 or 2. default is 8. 20 is insane.</span>