the ltktmb standalone package

players come here
Smiff

Postby Smiff » Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:41 pm

(oops typo in the topic sorry! you must get really sick of that)
just some thoughts i've had using your fine mod for a few days:

Hi! i've come from the original AQ2, after a few years' break. here's some things i've noticed and would like to discuss.

update: improved formatting, maybe someone will respond to my other points now, please? :)

Unresolved Items

• without the original quake2 PAKs there are all sorts of errors - missing sounds, textures etc entering maps. not sure if you're using high res textures and errors refer to old .wal files, it matters? perhaps someone with a lot of time, like me, needs to go through and work out what's needed and pak it all up nicely so a dozen or so maps included work perfectly out of the box (sounds like a LOT of work :/)
  • is there an option to turn sword off for classic aq2 style? also any other changes you've made to the gameplay? - imho it should be possible to play like the last official version of aq2. please! :)
  • if you drop a sword, there's no way to pick it up (?!) this seems to happen easily when you press "drop weapon" twice. also what about "invdrop" - the function of these two commands seems to be inconsistent and depend on what weapon you are holding, what's in your inventory and maybe other things - very strange & confusing for newbies :(
  • bots kill themselves too much, especially when falling down...
  • ladders - have i forgotten how to get down ladders, or has it got harder? any tips please!
  • lots of terrain files aren't included, there are on your page, any reason for not bundling them? :) the ones with just lnd are very small - do they need the crt files, or just the lnd? at some point zip support was added, great reduction in size..
  • this'll probably be taken care of in the next full package, but there's a bit of a DLL mess, with sound dlls in the root mod dir, in the patch they go in \sound, also i got in a mess with which openal32.dll to use, & have not managed to get 3d sound stable (i'll start a seperate thread for this!)
  • some confusion over menus:
    • which parts are current, which are redundant e.g. the deathmatch flags
    • 'effects' the default at the top of the main menu, shoudn't most of that be on the video menu.
    • organise video and sound options into their correct places, perhaps put both top level categories.
    • player setup is under "start" (Id's original design i know, but why not make it better)
    • ditch menu entries that really arent used any more like lookspring or screen size.
    • sensible defaults e.g. consider changing video default to opengl 640x480?
    • add useful things that people have to edit .cfg files for like gl_modulate slider, shadows toggle or bsplatlimit box.
    i like ui design stuff, maybe i can help :P
  • weapon respawn in deathmatch. when someone dies, after a few seconds weapons go back to original places. was this how aq2 originaly was? seems odd, i guess if guns were dropped somehwere inaccesible you'd have a problem, i don't remember how it was handled..
  • in teamplay, no clear indication of when a round is over? was it always like this? i don't remember getting confused and wondering what was going on
  • akimbo pistols (black) don't match single pistol (silver) - looks funny when switching between 1 and 2! this may be my fault for messing with paks? maybe the hud stuff can be made bigger now we're all (well most of us?) using higher resolutions.
  • this is minor but maybe you can fix. the menus e.g. choose team have key instructions hardcoded, they don't make any sense if you've changed them. maybe you can put all in game text into an editable text files or something.
  • my computer (1.2Ghz, 512MB RAM) freezes for a second when adding each bot. is this normal? can it be fixed? :(

more things i'll add here as i think of them, some of these are little things but fixing them could help get more new blood into the game :)

Resolved Items
  • the bloodsplats are really big. are they meant to be huge blobs?, with little flecks in the middle :o. i'd attach a screenshot if i knew how. after a while the level looks unbelievable, just painted red almost. or this something wrong with my setup, or is this part of the fun ;)
    <span style='color:purple'>- it's meant to be like this. if you don't like it, set gore to 1 or 2. default is 8. 20 is insane.</span>

slacker
Advanced Member

Postby slacker » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:45 am

i personally haven't experienced any of the problems you've just described smiff.. im really not sure what you're going on about :o

the bloodsplats are really big. are they meant to be huge blobs?, with little flecks in the middle ohmy.gif. i'd attach a screenshot if i knew how. after a while the level looks unbelievable, just painted red almost. or this something wrong with my setup, or is this part of the fun wink.gif

although in regard to that, you can go into the effects menu and turn down the blood staining level. it sounds like you must have it on the max setting to be saying the whole level is painted red at the end.
<a href='http://www.partydome.us/' target='_blank'>http://www.partydome.us/</a>

Smiff

Postby Smiff » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:32 am

i meant the size of the splats. they're very big, and always the same size. wouldn't it look better and more realistic if e.g. minor damage = small splat, big damage = big splat? not sure if that's easy to do, or impossible though.. just an idea :)

i should have said i'm coming from the old AQ2, which i played a lot years ago, and haven't played any since, so the differences (like this blood business) i notice, that's all. not complaining, was honestly not sure if it's a config error, like a gl_ cvar making the decals huge - i guess not! :) its kinda cool heh. but i'd like to see some pics if there are anywhere?

slacker
Advanced Member

Postby slacker » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:21 am

im not sure if this is the same thing.. but i think the "blood splats" you're talking about are meant to represent kidneys/hearts and stuff.

here's a screen shot thats MEANT to represent these blood splats: <a href='http://mods.moddb.com/gallery/964/6489/' target='_blank'>http://mods.moddb.com/gallery/964/6489/</a>

although i think we both agree that doesnt look like the blood splats we're talking about, but yes i think i know what you mean. and yes, thats meant to be a feature :)

Smiff

Postby Smiff » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:05 pm

right, i think i'm gonna get out photoshop, if i can work out which file that huge round red disc is in, and make it smaller and darker.. hehe.

edit: bsplat1,2,3 are all nice stippled looking, it's not any of these..

edit: slacker, no i'm talking about huge red discs with no detail in at all.. i can't find them in the paks either.. this is weird.

(as a side note, does anyone know where i can download replacement hud graphics for aq2? sorry this request isn't specific to ltktbm)

Xeon
Advanced Member

Postby Xeon » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:13 pm

Smiff wrote: i meant the size of the splats. they're very big, and always the same size. wouldn't it look better and more realistic if e.g. minor damage = small splat, big damage = big splat? not sure if that's easy to do, or impossible though.. just an idea :)

i should have said i'm coming from the old AQ2, which i played a lot years ago, and haven't played any since, so the differences (like this blood business) i notice, that's all. not complaining, was honestly not sure if it's a config error, like a gl_ cvar making the decals huge - i guess not! :) its kinda cool heh. but i'd like to see some pics if there are anywhere?

its gl_ext_pointparameters set to "0". set it to "1" to bring back the old Vanilla Q2 particle feel (note that this affects every that uses particles, including the new explosions).

Smiff

Postby Smiff » Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:51 pm

hmm unless i'm going mad the only thing gl_ext_pointparameters seems to do is enable splats and things actually on the screen - as if they were straight on your face! also pretty cool, but also not what i'm looking for :) hehe. i'll turn that on though, thanks. hopefully someone knows where the big splats are coming from. i'm probably being stupid.

edit: nope i'm wrong, gl_ext_pointparameters enables setting of point parameters (is this right?). but i don't see what this has to do with the big blood stains.. decals aren't they? maybe not, which would be why i can't find them..

Xeon
Advanced Member

Postby Xeon » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:21 pm

the way i see it, that is your problem. the gl_ext_pointparameter variable (as far as i know) tells Q2 if the particles are either software controlled (0 - flexible as they said) or done through hardware (1 - limited manipulation).

by particles i mean the explosions, the blood that splurts out of your enemy when you shoot him, sparks on the elevator at murder, etc. if you set it to "0", particles will become larger, which makes for the nice looking explosion but makes fatter blood splurts. the blood splurts generate a "blood stain" (which is a feature, btw).

i think all you really need is actually the "gore" variable. i think it defaults to "6" (pretty bloody already) and max to "20" (paints the map totally red in 10 minutes!!:ph34r: ). set it to a lower value like "4" or "3".

slacker
Advanced Member

Postby slacker » Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:38 am

i think this whole debate would be cleared up with smiff posted a simple screen shot of what he's describing, rather than challenging us with words.

Smiff

Postby Smiff » Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:29 pm

yep, it's gore we're talking about. setting to 1 makes it more like old AQ. sorry, coverage was so big i thought it was an error. still curious how the engine's covering huge areas in red... it's not decals?

anyway, that was minor, there's a whole load more on my list ehe :)

slacker
Advanced Member

Postby slacker » Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:56 pm

my fist reply was correct afterall!

Slashn64
Advanced Member

Postby Slashn64 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:43 pm

yeah thats my olny problem with the bots, i dont wanna dl routes. i know eraser bot for quake 2 makes there own routes or whatever they do im sure they wont mind you taking sum code msparks, as long as they can sue your ass :P
The only thing worse than death is to be forgotten.....

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:50 am

Slashn64 wrote: yeah thats my only problem with the bots, i dont wanna dl routes. i know eraser bot for quake 2 makes there own routes or whatever they do im sure they wont mind you taking sum code msparks, as long as they can sue your ass :P

I'm progressing towards this goal, but that one sentance sums up how much extra work is involved within the whole AI realm. atm its only just becoming possible to create any kind of decent route with any detail by hand. Ive contemplated implimenting automated route creation, and indeed there is more and more automation becoming possible for making routes (remember the old compiler? the one that took several minates to compile a hand made route), As I improve the code within this area, route creation should progress to the stage where it only needs minor tweeking by hand to fix the odd problem, but consider this, how hard is it for even us to work out jumps and tricks (even finding our way from one place to another) within an AQ2 map, imagine how complex and versitile a task it is to put all that into code and automate, which is what the problem boils down to.
© Mark 'mSparks' Parker 2010
<pubkey>AJXzWKeV59HaoUkmrCwP9f+kMr8aOIM
jMKy7ACsaRDCE/XuF0orj/jActtfWDMKjg/CixI7JP0Z6lbS99dc
86fxDIQOmfIU8BNYKPmlPA/uY3ZpT9/4iQY0XwKad5eJhDFW
cZ2Z4VUWJzlbuoX/QV4ihTVkr9JnyJb+fN9AOqXH9AQAB</pubkey>

UnknownMercenary

Postby UnknownMercenary » Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:16 am

I got LTKTBM to work fine without copying the pak files from the Q2 CD

for the life of me, I cannot get the server browser to work. I assume that you click on the IP of the server you want to join? but then, nothing happens :P

and plz make the bots use stuff besides sniper :angry:

Return to “LTK TBM Clients”