LTKTBM1.8 test releases

players come here
mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:12 pm

the first time in a quite a while, both the windows and linux version of ltktbm are becoming syncronised, while it remains true that quite a bit of work remains to be done on the linux version of the openal engine, this is a seperate project and due to its modular nature can progress seperately without impacting badly on the linux release.
firstly you may of seen several releases of 1.8 pop up around recently, the latest "ltktbmupdate18r3" just adds support for linux SCI clients in windows. please post any comments and suggestions here.
for quick reference these files are available here:
<a href='http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jane.a.parker/ltktbmupdate18r3.zip' target='_blank'>1.7->1.8 windows </a> (simple zip to be extracted over 1.7) you can delete and .lnd/.crt files located in the terrain directory)

and

<a href='http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jane.a.parker/ltktbmupnix18.zip' target='_blank'>1.7->1.8 Linux </a> (built on mandrake 10, but should work with other linux's)

regarding linux, I believe it is possible to use wine to get the 1.7 content out, and you can cancel after the file extraction completes (no need for openal or route compiler)
Im working on a 1.8 'mod pak' and a couple of other things tomorrow, but im probably going to need somewhere to send it (so bittorent will be first)
© Mark 'mSparks' Parker 2010
<pubkey>AJXzWKeV59HaoUkmrCwP9f+kMr8aOIM
jMKy7ACsaRDCE/XuF0orj/jActtfWDMKjg/CixI7JP0Z6lbS99dc
86fxDIQOmfIU8BNYKPmlPA/uY3ZpT9/4iQY0XwKad5eJhDFW
cZ2Z4VUWJzlbuoX/QV4ihTVkr9JnyJb+fN9AOqXH9AQAB</pubkey>

slacker
Advanced Member

Postby slacker » Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:58 am

well done msparks.. ill get this tested on slackware 10 today

edit: ok, ive tested the linux files for a few minutes, which doesnt sound like much, but ive got some results:

1) im unable to get the release to run under opengl, using: ./quake2 +set vid_ref glx
it says: ./opengl32: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
i have a feeling this has something to do with the fact the binary was compiled on a different system perhaps? i used to have (relnev's) quake2 compiled and working fine using glx under slackware 9.1, but im yet to try to get it working under slackware 10. so this COULD be a problem with the updated software packages. for example, slackware 10 now uses x.org for the X11 server (opposed to xfree86). the nvidia drivers still installed the same however.. ill have to look more into getting opengl quake2 running under slackware 10 before i can accuse there to be any problems with your linux package.

2) so, ive resorted to software rendering, using: ./quake2 +set vid_ref softx (funny to see you kept softaa in there, ascii rendering :P)
a tiny window popped up in the window manager, displaying the intro demo fine. the second demo popped up afterwards, and a while into that *bang* segmentation fault. im not sure why.. might be a missing model. try checking this out on your linux system.

so i cancelled the demo, and then i went through the video menu to change the resolution to something larger (not full screen, though). then through the "start" menu, and got a teamplay game going on city with several bots. again its hard to say whether this bug can be blamed on the linux package or my own system, but first of all, the movement keys seem to freeze every now and then. like ill be messing around with w,a,s,d - for a while it's functional, but then all of a sudden it just stops responding to me. this happens in spectator mode, as well as while playing. anyway i tried to play as much as i could, and i got to killing one of the bots, and could see enough to see the debris effects working - so the graphics enhancements seem to have been ported well. however not too long after my first frag, quake2 segmentation faults again.

although its great news that you're trying to get it to work under linux, i suspected from the beginning it'd be very hard to get it bug-free and fully functional. however, i am very impressed with how far the linux release has come in such little time. eg: i didnt expect to see the demo, modified menus, graphics enhancements (eg: debris), and custom graphics in the team selection window to come up at all. i was very surprised, its not very often you see something almost perfectly ported from windows to linux. and there's a good chance a lot of those bugs are specific to my system. like i mentioned before, i will have to try get standard quake2 running on the system before i can begin to start narrowing the problems down to your compiled ltktbm. thats all for now.. ill try to get around to getting standard quake2 running on the system.
<a href='http://www.partydome.us/' target='_blank'>http://www.partydome.us/</a>

slacker
Advanced Member

Postby slacker » Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:51 am

ok, i compiled relnev's quake2 source for myself, and tried running glx:

bash-2.05b$ cd /usr/local/games/quake2/
bash-2.05b$ ./quake2 +set vid_ref glx
Quake 2 -- Version 3.21+rCVS
using /home/slacker/.quake2/baseq2/ for writing
couldn't exec default.cfg
execing config.cfg
Console initialized.

------- sound initialization -------
sound sampling rate: 11025
------------------------------------
------- Loading ref_glx.so -------
LoadLibrary("./ref_glx.so")
No joysticks found
rfx_gl version: GL 0.01
recursive shutdown
Error: Couldn't load pics/colormap.pcx
bash-2.05b$

it appears that glx is loading fine, the only reason for it to quit is the missing quake2 installation :P ill get my hands on a full/demo install of quake2 and let you know. so for now, its definitely narrowed down that you've compiled the quake2 rendering modules differently to the standard source..

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:44 am

if you want to use something other than the q2 source thats included in that linux one you can use

"./quake2 +set game action"

although it wont use linkfile and you'll probably have name case problems.

the linux q2 source is also in the dev forum, but the auth keys are different so it wont auth with SCI unless you compile a windows version too. (I might change this for a striaght copy of the sources for testing, but you can just use cl_pure 0)

Ive seen the odd segmentation fault as well, although it seemed to be ownership/permission problems ("chown -R name:name folder") or maybee something todo with the keys code , (mdk10 is also on the 2.6 kernal, not sure if thats going to make any difference)
also, I've seen some wierd things with console windows, sometimes, on starting/ switching to fullscreen the mouse is all screwed, and the only way to get it to work is to close the console window and open a new one (strange eh).

theres almost certainly some changes that may need to be made to the keys, and one or two other linux specific fixes I've still got to go through, this source is more of a port of the windows source than a integration of the windows source into a linux specific source.

slacker
Advanced Member

Postby slacker » Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:20 am

ive already got the full 1.7b install, updated with the 1.8aR3 files, and its copied to the linux box already. i think you've missed the point of what im trying to convey..

my first post in the thread was me trying to use the 1.7b install files, the 1.8aR3 update, and the unix update - all files you have provided. in summary i said opengl wouldnt work, and under software it seg faults in certain parts.

my second post was about me compiling the standard relnev quake2 source, and then comparing the output with the quake2 binary you compiled in the unix update zip. the point of that was your quake2 binary looks for "./opengl32", while mine looks for "./ref_glx.so" - and this is the reason i believe that opengl is broken in your unix update zip. but yes.. in this second test, i didnt have any actual quake2-files in the folder. i was just seeing what the output was generating when trying to use opengl. it would be pointless to try use my compiled quake2 with the ltktbm data files because the engine wouldnt support the high res textures anyway.

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:00 am

not sure if you caught my post before I edited it, because when I first posted I missed your first post, or whether I just didn't come across probably the second time round...
anyhow.
I mentioned the linux q2 source (the sources used to compile the code included in that 1.8 linux update), because compiling that should prove whether its a package/compilation error, for quick reference their <a href='http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jane.a.parker/Q2Psrc18.zip' target='_blank'>here</a>

as for the ./opengl32, try just "./quake2 +vid_ref glx" it did that to me once, but then after booting into softx and using the menu to change the video mode it seemed to work fine.

Im unfamilier with 'relnev' Q2 sources, Ive been comparing to the icculus code.

do you have a console dump of the glx not working, I think you'll find it looks something like this (off the top of my head)

Code: Select all

------- Loading ref_glx.so -------
LoadLibrary("./ref_glx.so") <- its ref_glx that cant find opengl32.
./opengl32: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

what I was trying to point out was although I can get everything working and stable, it needed a real kick up the but to get it up and running.

Oh and btw, the sdl version also seems to be quite a bit more stable for me (i.e. I have yet to see a seg fault in the sdl version)

slacker
Advanced Member

Postby slacker » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:40 pm

ah yeah, i missed your edited post earlier. ill read over everything later.

its approaching 1am and ive been doing webdev for my site all day. so my wrists are really aching now, off to bed for me. ill check this stuff out tomorrow :)

edit: oh btw, relnev = icculus

the history behind that is, relnev was the first man behind that hacked up quake2 source, and it was hosted on the icculus space. now relnev is gone, and i think one or two maintainers took over the web space. so now its called icculus quake2.

Slashn64
Advanced Member

Postby Slashn64 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:28 pm

forgot to log in last time. but, how do you use the movie script thing. i never understood it in 1.7, and i want it for 1.8. oh, and i think i figuerd out the bot thing, i put those .zip files in that terran file, and its working again. do i have to put ALL the .zip route files in the terran file?
edit:omfg, i LOVE you man, you fixed the shot gun sounds!!!!!w00t, oh yeah, now NO ONE will sneak up behind me w shit gun AGAIN! i love yeah man
The only thing worse than death is to be forgotten.....

slacker
Advanced Member

Postby slacker » Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:21 am

mSparks wrote: Ive seen the odd segmentation fault as well, although it seemed to be ownership/permission problems ("chown -R name:name folder")

ok im finding it a bit hard to get eachother synchornized on ideas/bugs here.. im going to repeat some things:

1) do you experience the w,a,s,d (movement) keys problem as well? where the movement is jerky, and only functional 1/3 times?

2) with respect to the segmentation faults under softx, the whole folder has been "chmod 755 * -R" and "chown slacker:users * -R". so there's no way it is a permission problem.

3) and with opengl, ill try compiling the linux source you provided, or try opening ltktbm in softx then switching to glx from the menu and see how that goes.

4) i will also try the sdlquake binary later

is there anything i have missed?

edit: with regard to #3, i got the source and extracted it in linux. typed "make" and it wouldnt compile. UNFORTUNATELY thats the extent of my knowledge with compiling things on linux, so im going to say i cant get it compiling under linux :( #'s 1,2,4 i will have to try later. im having some complications with university courses, ive been worrying about it all afternoon/night :(

2nd edit: ok, i finally got around into X windows on my slackware 10 box, and was able to run tests 1 and 4. the findings are heavily dependant on the renderer used (softx/aa/glx), and the quake binary used (sdlquake2/quake2) - so its a little hard to say 'what caused what' but ill try my best.

* the game appears to run flawlessly when being rendered in aa (ascii).. playing quake in ascii may not be anyone's cup of tea, but the point of stating this is to show the game is stable under aalib.

* the problem with the w,a,s,d movement keys only exists when using the softx renderer (both sdlquake2 and quake2 binaries)

* using softx under quake2, the game segmentation faults almost randomly. i have noticed a slight pattern though.. the game seems to seg fault more often in team play and when using special weapons (mp5/m3/m4). i dont have hours of testing to confirm the definite conditions on this, but thats the general impression ive got. might give you a clue as to why the crashes are happening at all under softx?

* running "./quake2 +set vid_ref glx" didnt work first go. running "./quake2 +set vid_ref softx" then switching into glx from the "video menu" didnt work. now this is the really weird part, which i dont understand at all. i used "./sdlquake2 +set vid_ref glx" and voila opengl in a window. i think i may have even got it to fit into a full screen. so i quit, and run "./quake2 +set vid_ref glx" again, and it works. to me this sounds fucking strange.. its as though the more testing/playing around i do with the package, the less bugs there are? anyway this is good news.. that glx started working

* under glx, the w,a,s,d movement keys bug doesnt exist at all. movement is smoothe and unrestricted

* under glx, there are no segfaults in "normal conditions" so ever. i say normal conditions because it did segfault maybe once or two, that was to do with either moving around menus really fast or changing screen resolutions. thats the type of thing that caused icculus/relnev quake2 to crash all of the time so i dont blame ltktbm for doing the same here.

so overall msparks, good news. although im going to take some time later to investiage WHY playing around all of a sudden made glx work. something to do with the config files, in my opinion. for now, its up to you to sort ouf the w,a,s,d problem in softx, and those seg faults. or maybe you wont bother.. just release an opengl-only edition of ltktbm or something.

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:26 am

* running "./quake2 +set vid_ref glx" didnt work first go. running "./quake2 +set vid_ref softx" then switching into glx from the "video menu" didnt work. now this is the really weird part, which i dont understand at all. i used "./sdlquake2 +set vid_ref glx" and voila opengl in a window. i think i may have even got it to fit into a full screen. so i quit, and run "./quake2 +set vid_ref glx" again, and it works. to me this sounds fucking strange.. its as though the more testing/playing around i do with the package, the less bugs there are? anyway this is good news.. that glx started working

ROFL, outstanding, yeah, think that pretty much sounds like what happened to me, said it was a pain to get it to fire up :angry:, but suddenly seemed to work for no apparent reason.

edit: with regard to #3, i got the source and extracted it in linux. typed "make" and it wouldnt compile. UNFORTUNATELY thats the extent of my knowledge with compiling things on linux, so im going to say i cant get it compiling under linux  #'s 1,2,4 i will have to try later. im having some complications with university courses, ive been worrying about it all afternoon/night

most likely cause is missing libaries in your installation, I had to pull two libaries off the mandrake CD4, Libaa-devel and libsdl-devel, good luck with the uni courses... Im pretty much all sorted now but its been a major headache so I can imagine how you feel :(

the bad news is it looks like Im about to get dragged away to the middle of nowhere for a week starting saturday night, which means no PC and no internet access, Ill try and get as much done as possible before then, but its likely the time I have left will be spent getting ready....

Slashn64
Advanced Member

Postby Slashn64 » Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:21 pm

what about my q about getting that movie script running for me? im really interseted in trying it out

slacker
Advanced Member

Postby slacker » Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:23 am

Slashn64 wrote: forgot to log in last time.   but, how do you use the movie script thing. i never understood it in 1.7, and i want it for 1.8. oh, and i think i figuerd out the bot thing, i put those .zip files in that terran file, and its working again. do i have to put ALL the .zip route files in the terran file?
edit:omfg, i LOVE you man, you fixed the shot gun sounds!!!!!w00t, oh yeah, now NO ONE will sneak up behind me w shit gun AGAIN! i love yeah man

sorry slash dont know anything about how the movie scripts work either. however, over the time of reading threads on this board, i have noticed several that are relevant to problems/guides on movie scripts. try searching for them on the board, they might help you.

maybe this is a call for someone to write a quick and dirty "movie script tutorial" so any future commers to the board wont have to ask about this?

msparks: if the problem is with aa and sdl libs, then the makefile for the linux source must have been changed a lot. becaue the original icculus source compiles without a single problem, from 'make' to 'cd releasei386' - its all there. i dont think you're very well acquainted with slackware, it really is a great distro. and you havent commented on the softx bugs ive mentioned.. whats your take on them? drop software rendering support for linux ltktbm?

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:43 pm

yeah, v. good point. could you post the last section of output when it fails, the actual makefile is identical to the icculus one, since I used that + then added the extra source files, also I'll try compiling the one I put for download, its always possible that something got missed :angry:

Slashn64
Advanced Member

Postby Slashn64 » Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:24 pm

ok, now for some little constructive critasism for the 1.8 beta. first off, sometimes, not all the time, the sounds of the m4 and mp5 hitting the ground/walls sound like the knife hitting the ground/walls. anyway i can fix that? and also,what is up w the M4 looking like the M403 assault grenade launcher when its on the ground? it doesnt look like one in the hands, whats up w that?

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:27 pm

the sounds of the m4 and mp5 hitting the ground/walls sound like the knife hitting the ground/walls

its part of the surface debris, when they hit metal objects they eject sparks and make a clank (metal xbeams on actcity2 are a good example) - there defined in texsurf/bglobal.txt

M403 assault grenade launcher when its on the ground? it doesnt look like one in the hands, whats up w that?

because I haven't done the one for the hands yet, next/official release will have an option for an M16/M203 grenade launcher, the code was disabled for this release because it was too buggy.

I keep meaning to post the commands for disabling the weapons, from memory theres allow_sword, allow_mp5, allow_shotgun, allow_m4 and allow_sniper (0/1)

I just compiled the download source np, slacker if you can post/mail me the console output Ill have a look at the cause, unfortunatly for the moment Im just off to spend a week in the sun... Good news is when I get back I should have more time to spend on this lot :unsure:

Return to “LTK TBM Clients”