ltktbm 1.6 changelog (June 22 2003)

players come here
tiger@sound.net
Advanced Member

Postby tiger@sound.net » Sun Jun 22, 2003 8:53 pm

(mSparks, thanks for this News and PLEASE do not BOTHER yourself with this and let us try to CHEER and guess a bit... Okay?)

==========
ltktbm 1.6
==========

autoskill now tweeked up, resulting in removal of ltk_skill.
(Sounds like it is time to only call ltktbm, "The Borg Matrix",,, to me.) :)

More TBM code, including various movement fixes.
(If bots no longer jump and hurt themselves,,,
then it is DEFINITELY time to call it, T. B. M. !!!) :) :) :)

movie script code, including leader/guard and hostage code teamplay wide, and movie script specific primary weapon dissallow
(Wow !!! Too much is NEW, here, to even comment about!!!)

added lens 1/2/4/6 for sniper rifle
(Will this be a realistic "Hold the Target in your Scope with the Trigger, still Down" option, after a shot?) YES !!! ... I hope... :huh:

Gamespy/other launchers should now work properly.
(Sounds Excellent to me.)

new sword model curtosy of Birdman/BirdBird and skin by mSparks/[DEADEYE] along with relavent fixes.
(mSparks, the current Ninja seems to run, open or spread legged and he could lean forward, a little, like all the other models seem to do?)

various other minor fixes and improvements

Engine code base is now straight 3.21 for compatibility, with the following changes:

*)added optional OpenAL sound engine to engine code for proper sound FX

*)completely optional .jpg texture loading for high resolution/colour images.

*)added blood particle generated stain maps and 'gore 0-20' command for truly bloody battles
( Hey... Now we can invite those gentle Lady types to a game of TBM.) :)

*)Implimented linkfile system for reduction in texture number and ease of retexturing.

*)WSAECONNRESET fix.

*)various improvements to menu system (specifically controls menu).

this code will be implimeted in other source mods (q2ice/beefquake etc) as an optional extra at a later date.

Xeon
Advanced Member

Postby Xeon » Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:05 am

finally, some news :D

autoskill now tweeked up, resulting in removal of ltk_skill.

how does autoskill work anyway? randomly skilled bots or bots adjust to player skill like in UT?

added lens 1/2/4/6 for sniper rifle

okay, whats this? is this the old sniper sensitivity script only menu-driven or some bot AI improvement?

(mSparks, thanks for this News and PLEASE do not BOTHER yourself with this and let us try to CHEER and guess a bit... Okay?)

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>oops! hehehe</span> i guess my questions kind of defeat the purpose of what you just said. sorry but i just have to :D

one last edit:

will the next versions engine be in sync (no, not n-suck :D) with the next q2ice?

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:38 am

how does autoskill work anyway?

two levels of variability, one is an overall, measuring how well the bots are doing against human players, the second is individual to the current player they have lined up to slaughter, and controls how they move/behave whilst attacking and how long it takes to center their cross hairs on the target.
currently its tweeked so they always try to be a little bit better than the player they are trying to kill, so unless you completely own them the scores should all be more or less equal.
When we have a full set of mission scripts, the 'start new game' skill setting will control whether they try to be 'easier/same/or harder', against their current foe.

lens 1/2/4/6

basically it allows you to set exactly what level of zoom you goto, for example previously, if you were zoomed in at 2x, and want to get out of zoom, you would have to call 'weapon' three times, now all you need is to issue 'lens 1'. It comes bindable from the control config menu in the form of 'sniper zoom in' and 'sniper reset' and allows for a change in sensitivity when at different zoom levels, without any of the bugs associated with sniper aliases.

will the next versions engine be in sync with the next q2ice

basically, I like q2ice alot, it is the only engine mod mod I've seen thats both powerfull and focus's on compatibility.
1.16 looks fantastic, and there will definately be a 'q2ice' version that you can play with. However for the next release, I have decided not to include q2ice in the installer. prefering rather to have a follow up release that uses q2ice.
This release uses 3.21 engine code, with just the modifications I have made, which all, when disabled leave the Q2 code the same as 3.21. Since I dont have the source for 1.16 yet, and it still has certain issues to be resolved anyway, I cant make the necessery changes to bring it in line with the features I have added. since theres quite a few bugs in 1.15 that basically shouldn't be there, this way the release goes out good and stable, and can be tested, played on and fiddled with, regardless of what state 1.16 is in.

The actual code and majority of content is now at a point where it could actually be released, however, the 'big' hold back atm is textures, I want this release to take ANY aq2 map, without missing textures, the linkfile code has gone a long way to making this possible in the VERY near future (rather than some time next year...) but its still not quite there yet. The internal release we're playing with atm has Q2's origonal textures in it, which obviously cant be released, so untill I bring the number of textures to a minimum, and get decent replacements for them, it cant go out :(
Another problem Ive had with the last release is that of updating, basically it wasn't particularily suited to 'updates' so Ive had to look closely at maximising its 'updatability'.
© Mark 'mSparks' Parker 2010
<pubkey>AJXzWKeV59HaoUkmrCwP9f+kMr8aOIM
jMKy7ACsaRDCE/XuF0orj/jActtfWDMKjg/CixI7JP0Z6lbS99dc
86fxDIQOmfIU8BNYKPmlPA/uY3ZpT9/4iQY0XwKad5eJhDFW
cZ2Z4VUWJzlbuoX/QV4ihTVkr9JnyJb+fN9AOqXH9AQAB</pubkey>

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:15 am

(Will this be a realistic "Hold the Target in your Scope with the Trigger, still Down" option, after a shot?)

Im not quite sure what you mean by this, if your refereing to the way you come out of zoom after you've shot to reload, thats because the rifle is not 'automatic' you have to cock back the bolt to remove the round and add a new one - obviously you cant look through the scope while you do this. Could it be you've got weapon model view disabled so you cant see this happening?

tiger@sound.net
Advanced Member

Postby tiger@sound.net » Mon Jun 23, 2003 2:43 pm

mSparks wrote:
(Will this be a realistic "Hold the Target in your Scope with the Trigger, still Down" option, after a shot?)

Im not quite sure what you mean by this, if your refereing to the way you come out of zoom after you've shot to reload, thats because the rifle is not 'automatic' you have to cock back the bolt to remove the round and add a new one - obviously you cant look through the scope while you do this. Could it be you've got weapon model view disabled so you cant see this happening?

... Hello mSparks...
(I have always seen all of the proper animations for shooting and reloading... I have seen these since ACTION did their very fine work with QUAKE 2.) :)

... But, please, let me make my question simplier, with real-world steps...

1. You would load this bolt-action rifle and of course, you would see the current reloading animations.

2. You would adjust the scope to a certain power.

3. And then, of course, You would take aim and fire...

4. BUT, in the real-world, you would continue looking through the scope at the target and verify the damage. (We used to call this Holding the Target or Verifying the Hit.)

5. And after, you have verified the damage, THEN, you would chamber the next round using the bolt-action with its animations.

Step 4, above, would require sensing the continued-holding of the fire-button, down, to keep viewing the target... And then, step 5 would only occur after releasing the fire-button...

((( At this point saying: "Sorry, that I asked this real-world question ... and please do not mind me",,, might be WELL in order, here. ))) :)

tiger@sound.net
Advanced Member

Postby tiger@sound.net » Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:05 pm

mSparks wrote:
how does autoskill work anyway?

two levels of variability, one is an overall, measuring how well the bots are doing against human players, the second is individual to the current player they have lined up to slaughter, and controls how they move/behave whilst attacking and how long it takes to center their cross hairs on the target.
currently its tweeked so they always try to be a little bit better than the player they are trying to kill, so unless you completely own them the scores should all be more or less equal.
When we have a full set of mission scripts, the 'start new game' skill setting will control whether they try to be 'easier/same/or harder', against their current foe.

... This sounds excellent to me, with "easier/same/or harder" skills...

But "Bots being less Suicide Prone on all maps" would, really, make my Day.

(I believe that using the map "Actcity3" by CryptR with 6 bots on each team and simply watching the Bots do some "Lemming suicides" would show this real issue.)

Also Game LockUps and Player LockOuts should be Number One, by now???

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:59 pm

I believe I've got the SZ_getspace knocked on the head, needless to say it was pretty much nothing todo with splats bholes and shells, and these can now safely be turned on.

I know exactly what you mean with the bot suicides, and yes, actcity3 is a perfect example, however, for the next release I've used maps that are more 'bot safe', not that preventing them is any kind of issue, just that getting the code in takes time, and Ive not got round to implimenting/testing it yet. only so much I can do at once, if you know what i mean :P

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:02 am

sorry I missed your earlier post regarding what you meant with the sniper rifle.

I agree, the way I see todo this, is to not activate the reloading sequence untill after the fire button has been released. i.e. holding fire after shooting will keep you zoomed untill you release when the gun which will then reload.

finished, present in 1.7

tiger@sound.net
Advanced Member

Postby tiger@sound.net » Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:07 am

mSparks wrote: sorry I missed your earlier post regarding what you meant with the sniper rifle.

I agree, the way I see todo this, is to not activate the reloading sequence untill after the fire button has been released. i.e. holding fire after shooting will keep you zoomed untill you release when the gun which will then reload.

finished, present in 1.7

Thank You,,, mSparks !!! :)

I look forward to this needed "sniper reality" in 1.7

We are into ltktbm 1.6, right now...
So, only, 1 more tenth and there it is,,, "Real World" Sniper Shots with proper Hit Verification !!! (And, of course, not making this THE Default Option will probably make all of the other Normal Players happy, also.) :)

... Tiger ...
(I will tell my Daughter, tonight, about "her idea" coming to Life in TBM!) :)

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Sat Jul 26, 2003 12:06 am

not making this THE Default Option will probably all of the other Normal Players happy

actually, unless you know its there, its not really noticable, tap fire and it behaves the same as normal (most players i would think do this anyhow), its only when you hold the attack button after you've shot do you notice the difference.

tiger@sound.net
Advanced Member

Postby tiger@sound.net » Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:24 am

(This is next to nothing.)

But, it involves that pak9.pak, which has that very fine de_dust map and now my customed-sights with a customed conchar.pcx, below....

<a href='http://www.sound.net/~tiger/conchars.pcx' target='_blank'>http://www.sound.net/~tiger/conchars.pcx</a>

(I only took a previous conchar.pcx from your Pic directory and darkened the background of the light characters and brightened the background of the dark-characters for QUITE a bit of needed contrast.)

Now, if I could only figure out WHERE the SPACE character, actually, is in these two sets??? :unsure:

Because to me, for better game play while playing against SHARP bots, you have only a split second to scan the game text and then you had BETTER be looking for an enemy bot, in the next split-second... And when these text characters BLEND into the background, especially clouds and certain backgrounds, you could easily take too many spilt-seconds and then Oops... SHUCKs !!! :(

So,,, maybe,,, the bottom-line should be leaving that pak9.pak, totally alone, for all future TBM updates... (Heck... This will still leave mSparks, pak0 through pak8 for modifications.) B)

... Tiger ...
(Apologies to the maker of that fine character set that I poured paint ALL over.) :)

smurphster
Advanced Member

Postby smurphster » Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:27 pm

actually, it would be better to stay away from lower pak numbers to sustain compatability w/ aq2. our players can install the map paks and some others w/o interfering with TBM material.

off the subject: i can't view .pcx files in linux (or mozilla at least). anyone got a plugin?

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Sun Jul 27, 2003 12:39 pm

not sure of an actual plugin, but I believe its Zsofts format.

Return to “LTK TBM Clients”