The American Empire

A disscussion of the evolution of what we are today and how we got here:
prophet

Postby prophet » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:51 am

Read this link, what do you think? do you agree? do you have views you want to discuss about it? I sure do!

<a href='http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,794163,00.html' target='_blank'>GLOBAL EMPIRE!!!!!!! what do you think?</a>

America's control of politics and culture throughout the globe are subjects which interest me deeply. I believe that American values penetrate deep into the way that people today, Particularly those in "The West" (including myself in that) go about living our day to day lives. MTV, News Networking, the internet; what roles do they have in the lives of a westerner? what kind of new culture is being created in this new Information Empire Age? And who is controlling who? Are we free? Do we really understand our roles in this society? And are programmers the new wizards of the unknown informatiuon realm?

If you've bothered to read this far then you are probably (at least a little) interested in what i'm saying. Read the article and let me know.

Out, Tids.

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:50 am

I, personally love this kind of topic, and for our regulars who now discover this page, let me open a hand to Prophet, a guy who ive spent quite some time around recently, and had endless deep discussions into the symbolisms of everything we see and experience. Whilst he is fairly new to the internet world, I believe his views something important for us all to consider and bear in mind as we continue to exist and question exactly 'who am I'?

I mentioned some time ago that I would like to open up an avenue to discuss deeper things than simply playing games, or fixing our computers. This life Science catogory is designed exactly for that purpose.

For bush, america, and the current climate of fear, I think there are important factors to consider, firstly, we should not let fear cloud our judgement, ruling parties have difficult and complex decisions to make and all the factors of which we can never completely know. I feel it is however important to keep an eye on exactly which directions these decisions take, and learn from the mistakes of the past.

As for programmers, and their role in society. I read exerts from an apparently well researched book called netocracy, and the possibilities for a change within society from the internet are as diverse as they are out-landish.

Economics, I just have to say that word. All of this behaviour exists within economic bounds. As was put so elequantly in my first microeconomics lecture. Limited resources lead to economic decisions. The very fact that we all have somehow restricted time, means that our ultimate choice comes down to how to use that time (or any other resource).

For the overall discussion of how this leads to the evolution of control; Religion, blind faith and power over resources I think have always been the significant factors in shifts and movements of control. I think I would be willing to question however, whether control actually evolves at all. Certainly it changes and shifts focus, but does it actually undergo a process of some darwinian loss of weaker or even moral traits.
© Mark 'mSparks' Parker 2010
<pubkey>AJXzWKeV59HaoUkmrCwP9f+kMr8aOIM
jMKy7ACsaRDCE/XuF0orj/jActtfWDMKjg/CixI7JP0Z6lbS99dc
86fxDIQOmfIU8BNYKPmlPA/uY3ZpT9/4iQY0XwKad5eJhDFW
cZ2Z4VUWJzlbuoX/QV4ihTVkr9JnyJb+fN9AOqXH9AQAB</pubkey>

Return to “The evolution of control”