fog!

General Game Engine technologies
Smiff

Postby Smiff » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:21 pm

while browsing my old fav Aq2 sites i saw a screenshot which reminded me of an old mod .. CGF bot with fog! this produces quite a different game, can get quite stealthy and interesting ;)

you guys are probably aware of this but just in case you aren't, take a look at
<a href='http://www.cyd.liu.se/~bjoli035/botepidemic/aid/cgf/exp_fog.shtml.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.cyd.liu.se/~bjoli035/botepidemi...p_fog.shtml.htm</a>

hopefully you agree it's an interesting new look? i don't know if this (old bot will work with your engine? i remember this bot being quite impressive.. and the mod adding fog, of course, with the bots understanding fog! :)

thanks, hope i'm not cluttering up your forum. tried searching but "fog" is three letters and forum won't accept it :/

even if you couldn't be bothered to change your AI for fog, just adding some sort of fog might be fun? might reduce the long distance sniping anyway, makes play different.

Slashn64
Advanced Member

Postby Slashn64 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:46 pm

whats w the fog?! who wants fog? this isnt silent hill you know
The only thing worse than death is to be forgotten.....

Smiff

Postby Smiff » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:54 pm

i just thought it was interesting and cool looking.. wouldn't suit all maps of course, but if it's simple to implement as an option.. i played with it before and seem to remember liking it.. no biggie. and yes it does change the game, but that was kinda the idea, yet more variety for actionquake! :)

edit: of course there's a security side to this where in serious 'net games people would try to switch it off to see better, but like on my lan where i set everything up.. fun :) and it adds ATMOSPHERE for those spooky dark 1v1 creeping around shitting yourself late night aq sessions :ph34r: :D

Slashn64
Advanced Member

Postby Slashn64 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:37 am

yeah, you know that no mater WERE you go, your gonna find 1 asshole who turns the fog off and pwns your ass. bad idea

Xeon
Advanced Member

Postby Xeon » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:50 am

as far as i know, fog ideas were scrapped because they lag servers.

besides, from what ive seen fog only made things tad clearer (when you see an enemy its sort of like seeing a figure, so youll fire it up anyway)

Slashn64
Advanced Member

Postby Slashn64 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:29 pm

no, fog sucks, remember superman 64? yeah, i thought so
and i think that your talking bout fog like silent hill 2 fog, which wont work on the Quake 2 engine, so lets just end it

Smiff

Postby Smiff » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:02 pm

lag servers? i'm talking about LAN games really, that's how i play. this silent hill i've never heard of sorry. but there's no question it works, it was in other Q2 mods in um 1998 i think. but if people just don't like, fair enough :(

Xeon
Advanced Member

Postby Xeon » Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:28 am

i began to ponder this may be good for maps with missions.

i guess the fog option wouldnt be that bad. if the rules there will be followed that is:

• it's fully configurable - pick the type of fog, fog density, fog color and define your default and per map preferences
  • the bot AI understands fog and operates with reduced visibility. The AI also understands the ability to 'hide' in the fog. Your preferences regarding fog type and fog density are taken into account - not a trivial thing to do but it didn't take rocket science either*.
  • you can toggle fog on a mission per mission basis - set fog to '0' and the next mission is ran without fog (and AI understanding this). Set fog to '1' and during the next mission, everything will be hazy (including the bots' vision).

and no, i dont think you could compare Q2 to Superman64. it has far complex structures compared to superdog64 to begin with. and btw, i used to play with fog with an older TBM version (no standalone aq2.exe back then) so i used it with a regular quake2.exe. i just stopped using it because i ended up not feeling good with it.

also, i have to admit im way to lazy to configure maps for optimal fog settings.

* - no comment on this part, i just thought msparks may want to see that so we could hear his comments about it.

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:51 pm

EDIT: :rolleyes:

EDIT #2:
i began to ponder this may be good for maps with missions.
:).
© Mark 'mSparks' Parker 2010
<pubkey>AJXzWKeV59HaoUkmrCwP9f+kMr8aOIM
jMKy7ACsaRDCE/XuF0orj/jActtfWDMKjg/CixI7JP0Z6lbS99dc
86fxDIQOmfIU8BNYKPmlPA/uY3ZpT9/4iQY0XwKad5eJhDFW
cZ2Z4VUWJzlbuoX/QV4ihTVkr9JnyJb+fN9AOqXH9AQAB</pubkey>

Xeon
Advanced Member

Postby Xeon » Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:58 pm

hehehe...maybe i dont get it but i just realized the page being linked to said the same anyway :blink:

Return to “General Engine Developement”