new direction

programming and ltktbm development discussion
Big_Fat_Ando

Postby Big_Fat_Ando » Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:39 pm

I just wondered if you guys were planning to develop the game beyond it's original greatness. you know, like adding new weapons and features, or would that be too much for the aq2 purists to handle? :P

couple of other things, while I'm here:

- is there a faq on how to write those mission script files?
- do the bots have eyes in the back of their heads? (sneaking up on them is damn hard...)
- any chance you guys could add a selection bit in the menu system for sniper sights?
- finally, is there a way to turn of shadows in q2ice?
(though i like q2 ice, there are other engine mods that look better, <a href='http://www.planetquake.com/blur/news.htm' target='_blank'>Quake2 - evolved</a> for one)

thanks muchly

-ando

P.S. Keep up the great work :D

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:50 pm

develop the game beyond it's original greatness

well, Ive quite a few ideas I love to impliment, and most of these fit nicely into the movie script theme.
is there a faq on how to write those mission script files?

the movie script is marked for big changes in its layout, both to make it more readable and more versatile (see proposed moviescript thread), for this reason atm movie script isn't brilliantly documented, the next release is focused around terrain, and will come with support for a huge amount of already released maps, as well as capabilities with these maps (such as buttons etc)
do the bots have eyes in the back of their heads?

in a word no... but there is a 'findemeny' routine for if their attacked by someone they cant see.
finally, is there a way to turn of shadows in q2ice?

gl_shadows 0/1, as in standard Q2, q2ice also has stencil buffered shadows, but Im not sure of the command (I think its 0/1/2 on gl_shadows)
we dont use the q2ice engine anymore, for the simple fact that 1.15 had to many bugs, and he hasn't released the 1.16 source yet. The dll is compatible with any engine that can load a stadard 3.20 game dll.
any chance you guys could add a selection bit in the menu system for sniper sights?

its been requested a few times. I'll do it sometime during 1.8.
© Mark 'mSparks' Parker 2010
<pubkey>AJXzWKeV59HaoUkmrCwP9f+kMr8aOIM
jMKy7ACsaRDCE/XuF0orj/jActtfWDMKjg/CixI7JP0Z6lbS99dc
86fxDIQOmfIU8BNYKPmlPA/uY3ZpT9/4iQY0XwKad5eJhDFW
cZ2Z4VUWJzlbuoX/QV4ihTVkr9JnyJb+fN9AOqXH9AQAB</pubkey>

Xeon
Advanced Member

Postby Xeon » Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:01 am

mSparks wrote: we dont use the q2ice engine anymore, for the simple fact that 1.15 had to many bugs, and he hasn't released the 1.16 source yet. The dll is compatible with any engine that can load a stadard 3.20 game dll.

hmmm.....well he did, not sure if it suits your needs though

<a href='http://q2ice.iceware.net/pre' target='_blank'>http://q2ice.iceware.net/pre</a>

im getting a blank page now, but idle posted this in the forums. so try if you can get some luck.

btw, when spectating on bots vision i found out that the bots can see through doors/walls when theyre extremely close to it, the camera seems to be infront of the eye rather exact eye view. is this normal?

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:03 pm

camera seems to be infront of the eye rather exact eye view. is this normal

this, I believe is just part of the chase cam code, if it was further back you would be inside the player model. traces for player visability start from the standard view origin.
I'm not 100% but I think tng changed the chase cam code to push you away from walls. I've thought about putting some time into this before.
© Mark 'mSparks' Parker 2010

<pubkey>AJXzWKeV59HaoUkmrCwP9f+kMr8aOIM
jMKy7ACsaRDCE/XuF0orj/jActtfWDMKjg/CixI7JP0Z6lbS99dc
86fxDIQOmfIU8BNYKPmlPA/uY3ZpT9/4iQY0XwKad5eJhDFW
cZ2Z4VUWJzlbuoX/QV4ihTVkr9JnyJb+fN9AOqXH9AQAB</pubkey>

tiger@sound.net
Advanced Member

Postby tiger@sound.net » Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:28 pm

... Hello mSparks...
(Please excuse me for asking this very simple question) ;)

But, how well do Bots "listen" or "pay attention" to distant noises like grenades or major fire-fights, etc?

... And for a more interesting question...
Can an enemy or a friendly Bot be made totally "helpless" with absolutely "no guns" and/or "no kicking ability"?

(This might help with TBM "movie scenarios" of rescueing a totally helpless woman or a seriously injured pilot or soldier or simply, for having some absolutely harmless natives running around, perhaps?)

Then again, having enemy or friendly natives that can only kick, might provide some VERY GOOD surprises, also? (But, should they be allowed to pickup a gun and then get REALLY dangerous?) This kind of surprise is quite a bit like your special Ninja Bots secretly picking up a gun and REALLY surprising me, if I relax on quickly shooting him, with a round in my BUTT.

(Hmmm? Skip the EXTRA and always BIGGER "Guns Show"... And simply add some much more important and longer lasting "character" to TBM??? :)

But, to add something "On Topic" to this discussion... For some more realistic physics, could grenades act more like rocks or TBM knives, for that matter, and simply stop when they hit soft flesh with a bit of damage, even? (This might make a LONG throw by a Bot, that is aimed exactly at a VERY CLOSE enemy, into a fairly decent attack?) And this grenade, like a rock, would hit with all this extra long-throw energy and then, simply, STOP on target...

... I was thinking about our last discussion about some Bots not being activated during a game...

These non-events might allow for some special "stealth tactics" that would be especially useful with traveling through a LARGE town or city with WAY TOO MANY towns-people to normally deal with?

ie: You really don't want or need to fight the entire city to pass through to an EXIT POINT or very possibly, your BUTT might get seriously KICKED by just their SHEAR NUMBERs, alone !!!

Ps... Thanks for the FUN !!! :D

Big_Fat_Ando

Postby Big_Fat_Ando » Mon Nov 03, 2003 1:07 am

that all sounds good mate, but having pedestrians would mean a bunch of new code, I'm guessing, AND a map that's big enough to warrant them. not too sure about the idea of using stealth...
after all, action quake was founded on the idea of bunny-hopping about like a maniac :D
i like the grenade physics idea though, how good would it be to catch someone in the head from a mile away using only a grenade :)

i like the mission scripts, but the plot (mission) always seem a little pointless, as once you hear 'action' there's just a huge bloodbath...
can the new mission script be used to denote the agents actions?
this could mean that the bots could be told to move from their start point or scripted to split up into smaller groups to secure vantage points overlooking the hostage. it could also enable agents on your team to follow you in squad formation...

just a thought.

i think it'd work better if someone made maps specifically for a mission script...
any voulenteers?

tiger@sound.net
Advanced Member

Postby tiger@sound.net » Mon Nov 03, 2003 2:12 pm

... Here's some thoughts for specially-armed Bots with very little code changing, HOPEFULLY???

A Bot, named within team A or B, defaults to being armed, ONLY, by that script?

(Then, could "Kicking" become a named weapon-type, also?)
And then "Kicking=0" could "turn off" kicking for each bot?
Add "Weapons=0" and then you might have one, fairly SAFE Native Bot?

*** The simplest change MIGHT BE using, within the mission-line, a "Null_Weapon" or something named like that, to be assigned for a "No Primary Weapon" condition??? (But, there GOES our "AQ2 Standards"?)

THEN, this would leave ONLY 1 default knife, 1 pistol and a kick to worry about.
Also, there's that rarely discussed but very dangerous GRENADE weapon? :)
Unless "Weapons=0" would cover them, globally or in general?

(ALL of this almost makes me WISH that I hadn't started this MESS?... Sorry) :(
Being able to control these 5? possible weapon-types might make for a VERY MESSY mission-line and MUCH TOO MUCH in required logic additions?

And of course, you could have these SAFE Bots on both A and B teams. (And to me, the aggressiveness of a totally un-armed or Kicking-only Bot should be very close to ZERO.)

(This same type of "much lower aggressive" logic could, also, apply to a Ninja, who is ONLY armed with a sword because THEN he is, still, only taking a "BIG Knife to a Gun Fight", folks!!!) :)

And then,,, most likely,,, this would give the other team some fairly EASY and SAFE targets on your side... But then again, while they are shooting your "safe bots" and wasting time and limited ammo,,, you are WASTING their dumb little Bot BUTTS!!! :)

Also, you could have some friendly Bots appear as Natives, somewhere else... Then, when they come RUSHING towards you, THERE will be some serious split-second decisions to be MADE, for sure!!! :unsure:

Here's another "FUN" aspect of all of this "dis-arming" of Bots... "No Kicking" may be a permanently disabled ability and then, even, a totally disarmed "Enemy Native" might simply follow you around, very peacefully... But, simply, not giving them weapons, at the beginning, DOES NOT mean that they won't pick them UP and BLAST you in the BOTTOM, later? :)

... PS... That very "Bot Safe" de_dust map has about half-a-dozen distant or hidden spots for lots of extra Natives and Enemies... And it could be used and re-used, again and again, for various "Black Hawk Down" pilot-rescue or returning-prisoners scenarios... (I don't know the range of a Bot's enemy-viewing distance, so there may be several more very usable locations?)

... Tiger...
((( I know??? I know the "ANSWER to LTK/TBM"... Let's just ALL GET Quake3 and the HECK with adventuring, like FOREVER, within ACTION Quake 2 and TBM !!!))) :D

Return to “Developers”