map rotation

Server admins come here
Xeon
Advanced Member

Postby Xeon » Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:21 pm

i never understood where the game takes its map rotation list, i added like 3 maps before actcity2 in the action.ini just to change the starting rotation and still after the first game finishes....yup, actcity2, then followed by monastery, etc, etc, same roulette of maps :blink:

regarding that question comes a suggestion, how about a command for randomization of the maplist?

the various bits:

1.) theres a breakableglass command, and ive known its existence since a couple of years ago. problem is i havent yet seen a map that actually uses this effect. are the bots currently well aware of these things?

2.) another suggestion (aint i such a whiny :P), how about Capture The Flag gametype?

3.) ranking the routes - there are some maps that seems to have good routing for the most part but is mostly spoilt by the AI routines, and example is in p1_lightbeam, that climbable pole near the waters outside and an office space where the bots seems love staying. i dont know if its in the "2 - fix it" rank or 3-5 since the route seems okay for the most part (though i havent really did a check).

thats all, of course all of this after a well deserved break if you wish to do so :)

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:10 pm

hmmm let me try to answer this as best I can, in the limited time I have available.
command for randomization of the maplist

yup sounds good :P
breakableglass command

tbh I dont think its ever worked, I believe its supposed to be for glass like the window at the single player spawnpoint on Q2's base1, but no maps use it because the origonal AQ2 developers never changed the spawn function so it would be added in none deathmatch games (not to sure I've been meaning to check)
Capture The Flag gametype

movie script, capture and retrieve, been planned for a while but need to get general moviescript working properly first
ranking the routes

just updating the routes page now, suggestion for the ranking is rank a map if you like it, and base the ranking on how well the bots perform. then Ill spend time updating the routes with the lowest ranking and highest number of ranks.
© Mark 'mSparks' Parker 2010
<pubkey>AJXzWKeV59HaoUkmrCwP9f+kMr8aOIM
jMKy7ACsaRDCE/XuF0orj/jActtfWDMKjg/CixI7JP0Z6lbS99dc
86fxDIQOmfIU8BNYKPmlPA/uY3ZpT9/4iQY0XwKad5eJhDFW
cZ2Z4VUWJzlbuoX/QV4ihTVkr9JnyJb+fN9AOqXH9AQAB</pubkey>

Idle

Postby Idle » Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:59 am

Breakable glass has worked perfectly from the day it was added (version 1.50 - code property of William van der Sterren). Two maps that I can recall featuring breakable glass are "coverme.bsp" and "office3.bsp".
<i>Chaos, panic, pandemonium... My work here is done!</i>

Xeon
Advanced Member

Postby Xeon » Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:33 pm

i think i finally got a workaround with the map rotation ("actionmaps", documented in the AQ2commands.html, silly me for not reading thoroughly :P)

movie script, capture and retrieve, been planned for a while but need to get general moviescript working properly first

i was thinking of Q2 like CTF gametype when i posted my idea (complete with respawns, enhancers etc - only action themed), but i want to see how your idea goes first.

Breakable glass has worked perfectly from the day it was added (version 1.50 - code property of William van der Sterren). Two maps that I can recall featuring breakable glass are "coverme.bsp" and "office3.bsp".

just tried it, kinda silly implementation though, touch, and it will blow to pieces :P

i guess thats how Q2 did it, i never really tried to look into it since i was always tempted to shoot those explosive barrels first :D

Idle

Postby Idle » Fri Sep 12, 2003 9:09 pm

Depends entirely on the "health" value assigned to the brush (func_explosive if memory serves). For example, you could give it 50.000 and shoot at it with a handcannon for hours before it'd break. Or you could set it to something low like 20, kick it and you're through.
<i>Chaos, panic, pandemonium... My work here is done!</i>

Return to “LTKTBM servers”