A3D/EAX sound support

forum for discussion on implimenting A3D/EAX in game
mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Fri Apr 04, 2003 2:25 am

OK, I'm in the process of putting together A3D and EAX support for the Q2 engine, This File is is intended as a test release for testing compatibility with various hardware, and the features I am interested in are
a: If you have EAX capable hardware, at game start (straight after "sound initialisation") it should tell you whether it can detect EAX capable hardware.
b: after the game has started type "bind b testeax" in the console, then press the 'b' key, it should start a footstep sound, each time you press the b key it should move the sound around you in 3D space.

These are the two features I am interested with in this release. full error reporting is included, so I need any error messages it dumps.

Some things to note:
1. Game sounds still run through the normal sound system, so dont expect 3D sound or EAX support in game yet.

2. This release also gives access to start the server in missionplay or teammissionplay, If you have ltktbm1.45RC1 give teammissionplay a try (avoid missionplay) on actcity2 or city (only maps with mission files atm)

3. This file will only work with the AQ2 LTKTBM Edition Full install

4. Installation - simply unzip all the files to the base installation directory (C:\program files\action quake 2).

5.Once I get an idea of what to expect from this code, I will get to work on implimenting it in a new sound system (in new source files, so porting to other projects is simple)

so <a href='http://www.cam-direct.co.uk/downloads/engineRC1.zip' target='_blank'>download it</a> and let me know already.
© Mark 'mSparks' Parker 2010
<pubkey>AJXzWKeV59HaoUkmrCwP9f+kMr8aOIM
jMKy7ACsaRDCE/XuF0orj/jActtfWDMKjg/CixI7JP0Z6lbS99dc
86fxDIQOmfIU8BNYKPmlPA/uY3ZpT9/4iQY0XwKad5eJhDFW
cZ2Z4VUWJzlbuoX/QV4ihTVkr9JnyJb+fN9AOqXH9AQAB</pubkey>

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Sat Apr 05, 2003 10:45 am

doesn't look like theres any issues with this (its been well tested by creative as well so their shouldn't be :) )
I'll move onto integrating it into the engine, next test build will test engine integration, but will only be one buffer (i.e. only one sound at a time) then I'll move onto properly buffering it so you get full technecolour sound with as many 'sources' as your sound card can handle.
So notes:
I can only really do this for a windows build atm, I dont know enough about linux sound, and cant really test on it on linux, so some1 else will have to handle that. However, this shouldn't be an issue, as the SDK it uses is cross platform.
Its engine only, no changes are required to any mod dll/.so's to provide the 3D sound (ID's sound structure contains enough infomation to generate the sound in 3D rather than stereo), however EAX enviroment effects (room size etc) may have to be specified 'in mod'

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Sat Apr 05, 2003 5:12 pm

game integration was a piece of pie, going to skip the single buffer release and go straight into muliple buffer 3D sound. I currently have it working with the single buffer but still need to add code to manipulate its position based on player rotation and sound source (like with the testeax command)

Xeon
Advanced Member

Postby Xeon » Sat Apr 05, 2003 5:26 pm

:D great addition indeed! i will definitely watch for that, reason below.

i always thought q2ice's sound system was fairly weak. i mean, on the same settings, it simply doesnt sound as crisp and clear as i was playing on Q2 3.20. i even got to try it on my friends PC that has a fairly good speaker and its still the same to me.

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Sat Apr 05, 2003 7:43 pm

gah, I h8 RL
Seems to all be working, got integrated, buffered and A3D'd, only thing left is moving the sound based on player orientation (simple algo), + sounds absolutely sweet, but now I have to go out and I'm not back for a bit. :(

smurphster
Advanced Member

Postby smurphster » Sat Apr 05, 2003 10:12 pm

exciting indeed. hopefully my system will handle it.

well i'm off to work on those docs...

DarkH1de

Postby DarkH1de » Sun Apr 06, 2003 11:36 am

right, some preliminary results from testing:
1. NO PAK SUPPORT ATM, .wav's for A3D/EAX sound has to be read from a directory.
2. Sound card support: I'm not sure exactly what sound card specifications are required, but it looks like its either creative only, or Soundblaster compatible (IE, I've yet to see the implimentation work on a none SB card). For this reason, It will be added as an optional extra. Cards that dont support A3D still give sound out, but no alteration can be heard in the sound with regards to any stereo or enviroment effects.
3. buffer support. The current build on a SB 64V sound card supports around 30-40 simultanious sound sources (although the current build doesn't make best use of them), but I know for a fact the SB live series support a lot more, for this reason options will have to be made avaiable to control the number of sound sources (as well as seating position).

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Sun Apr 06, 2003 11:40 am

4. EAX: I may integrate room volumes into the node files, (hence enviromental effects such as room size will have to be implimented mod side (although you could add support to read room volume infomation from .lnds in the engine). More details regarding this will be available after I release the Q2 bot SDK shortly after the release of 1.5.

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Sun Apr 06, 2003 11:40 pm

something seriously fishy with 2.
dude we're going to have to run it through another series of tests :(, I'm 99.99% sure that that AC97 card should support it.

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Wed Apr 09, 2003 4:30 pm

right, I'm going to be putting up a new build in the next few hours or so, things I've got/want to know from this build:
1. I could do with some1 testing it with a non creative card, the ones who tried the last build we're just getting mono out and I'm not sure if this is fixed
2. There appears to be a wierd bug where if your connected to a server, and the person on that server is playing, their noises always come from in front of you, other than that the sounds should be placed around you in 3D space depnding on which way your looking whether you have a surround sound out or not
3. Its simulates in front/behind pretty good on stereo speakers
4. certain map entities dont get passed through the A3D system, and as such you only get left/right outputs (such as the radio on the city map)
5. Let me know what you think of the new particle system for the weapon hits, I quite like the water splashes :)
6. Buffer support is only in a test state atm, so it will drop the odd sound every now and again when they overflow, tho I have put in support to make sure when this happens the sound system remains intact.
7. I'll may or may not have added support for obstructions.

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Wed Apr 09, 2003 9:01 pm

you can download it <a href='http://www.cam-direct.co.uk/downloads/engineRC2.zip' target='_blank'>here</a>

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Thu Apr 10, 2003 4:16 pm

Schweeeet.
right, got pack file support working, I'll update the engine later, I still need feedback from people with none creative cards as to whether they get working stereo out or not.
USERS note, you need to enable the A3D sound engine in the options menu.
Now begins the work of moving as much of the code as possible from the two new source files written for the A3D support into its own LGPL project, so maintenance requirements are as small as possible, and the A3D project and AQ2 LTKTBM Edition's progress can progress independantly of each other.

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:30 am

well, today marks a happy day in the history of Q2 engine coding and sound support.
My A3D engine is offically working, out of beta, tested for 12 hours solid, and sounding absolutely gorgeous.
I migrated all the code into the openAL libruary, so its not just limited to the Q2 engine, however adding A3D support to Q2 for engine coders shouldn't be more than half an hours work (if that, just add then new openAL lib to your project, + paste about 20 lines of code that fire it up in Q2)
As for a release date? well we'll have to see how things pan out. I'm not planning on releasing the next full version untill we have support for all AQ2 maps (not nessecerily bots, im talking textures) which is when it will be publicly released, however I'm more than open to Q2 developers who wish to add it to their project. With respect to this, if any Q2 coders wish to obtain the code to add to their project before the next public release, drop me a message/forum post and I will mail it to you, and help out with any problems you have, provided you can pass some people ltktbm's way.
Otherwise, wait untill the full release, when you can get your hands on the sourcecode/actual implimentation.

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Sat Apr 26, 2003 5:53 am

<a href='http://www.cam-direct.co.uk/downloads/q2icewa3d.zip' target='_blank'>q2ice.exe</a> with A3D

<a href='http://www.cam-direct.co.uk/downloads/enginedemo.zip' target='_blank'>aq2.exe</a> with A3D

(enable in options menu)

tutorial will be available on quakesrc sometime soon

tiger@sound.net
Advanced Member

Postby tiger@sound.net » Fri May 02, 2003 1:27 pm

mSparks wrote: <a href='http://www.cam-direct.co.uk/downloads/q2icewa3d.zip' target='_blank'>q2ice.exe</a> with A3D

<a href='http://www.cam-direct.co.uk/downloads/enginedemo.zip' target='_blank'>aq2.exe</a> with A3D

(enable in options menu)

tutorial will be available on quakesrc sometime soon

(BTW, I know that I do not have any sort of "Surround Sound".)

But, I decided to try the enginedemo.zip for the aq2.exe and during AQ2 play, (with absolutely NO CHANCE to adjust anything),,, the screen flipped, AQ2 went a bit slow-motion crazy and became uncontrollable to the point of needing a shut-down from the Windows XP Task Manager... Then I had to re-install everything to regain LTK-TBM,,, "ltktbm12bfull.exe" and "ltktbm145rc11.zip"... (I have nothing else relating to LTK/TBM or anything else dealing with "Ice" or A3D Sound.)

(PS... I had moved the older aq2.exe to another folder and could not even restore LTK/TBM to "normal", by simply copying it back and deleting that new .dll???)

OBTW, my humble little P4 2-speaker system has:
Sound: Avance AC97 Audio
Video: Intel 82845G Extreme
System: XP Professional 2002 with SP1

... Tiger ...
(I just had to see about "Built-in Safeties" and options for "other" testers, that's all.) :) But, now, I would guess that "A3D/EAX" is not an option for even testing with me. :unsure:

Return to “OpenAL/EAX developement”