Paintball2 w/q2a3d

forum for discussion on implimenting A3D/EAX in game
jitspoe

Postby jitspoe » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:56 am

After using q2a3d with paintball2 for a while, I've noticed a few things that need to be fixed.

1) Sounds that are reaaaly far away sometimes sound like they're right next to you.
2) Sounds on the same channel need to stop the previous sound from playing. Doors are a good example. There are 3 sounds: open/move/close. With the old sound system, the closing sound cuts off the door sliding (or in the case of small/fast doors, the door opening) sound. With q2a3d, you hear the door closing and sliding or opening at the same time. It sounds funky.
3) Every once in a while, sounds make a funny noise -- I think due to the pitch alterations you're doing. Sometimes when you fire a weapon, you get a weird squeak sound: click click click squeak click.
4) Timing with looping sounds + pitch alterations seems to be off. It appears you're creating/destroying/creating looping sound sources and offsetting the time/position in the sound clip. Problem is, when the pitch is altered (doppler), the sound runs out of sound clip or overlaps, creating weird sound artifacts (my theory at least).
5) Mild echo effects that sometimes do and don't turn on. I'll change the volume or something and then it'll sound like I'm in a small chamber. I've had one user report that the echo continued to affect his normal windows sounds after exiting the game.
6) I still think there's something really weird you're doing, but I don't know what it is. :) On old drivers sound was REALLY screwy, but other games that used OpenAL (such as ut2003) and the OpenAL demos sounded fine.

But overall, it sounds nice. Switching back to the old sound system makes it sound like vibrations are being pounded into my head with a hammer.

jitspoe

Postby jitspoe » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:25 pm

I've also been getting some "Z_Free: Bad Magic" errors that I don't get when I have s_a3d off. It seems to happen when a whole bunch of sounds are played at once (ie: running a demo with timedemo 1). 'course it only wants to happen on one of my computers, and it's not the one with visual studio .net on it. :angry: I'll let you know if I track it down.

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:34 pm

the whole q2a3d is due a complete overhaul asap, im currently bogged down with this CCNA stuff atm which is basically eating away at every spare moment short of eating/drinkng/sleeping/partying. Im also waiting on getting a new motherboard so I can finish up the linux stuff (this one has serious issues with XP/Linux). You'll know when Im back hardcore, you wont be able to get rid of me :P
© Mark 'mSparks' Parker 2010
<pubkey>AJXzWKeV59HaoUkmrCwP9f+kMr8aOIM
jMKy7ACsaRDCE/XuF0orj/jActtfWDMKjg/CixI7JP0Z6lbS99dc
86fxDIQOmfIU8BNYKPmlPA/uY3ZpT9/4iQY0XwKad5eJhDFW
cZ2Z4VUWJzlbuoX/QV4ihTVkr9JnyJb+fN9AOqXH9AQAB</pubkey>

jitspoe

Postby jitspoe » Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:48 am

Cool. Lemme know if I can help.

btw, did I tell you about my idea to make a compiler-type thing that would collect volume and texture data to approximate the appropriate EAX effects for each portal of a map? Also, do you know if it's possible to create actual geometry that the sound will bounce off of?

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:22 am

btw, did I tell you about my idea to make a compiler-type thing that would collect volume and texture data to approximate the appropriate EAX effects for each portal of a map? Also, do you know if it's possible to create actual geometry that the sound will bounce off of?

yes,yes and yes :D
EAX 4.0 is a HUGE improvement over 2.0, in fact, its some of the best API stuff I've ever had the privelidge to use, there is also a load of new sample code which provides some real insight into where Ive been going wrong and how todo things differently, on the whole tho, what we have now in terms of structure seems pretty robost in its ability to handle the new EAX features. The one thing i'm still in half a mind of how to impliment is the initialisation sequence, openAL is quite diverse in the final sound API it uses (directsound3d/directsound/mmsystem etc) and DS3D provides all the enhanced features, but standard DS and even mmsystem provide solutions for some of the bugs we've been experiencing (which, tbh, I think are more DX bugs than openAL ones <_< )

I also need to get round to bringing in Linux support (which I started with loadlibrary last release). which is waiting on a new mobo/processor and soundcard since the one im using throws a wobbler on XP/Linux.

Oh, and... while Im on the subject of developement, you dont know of any good artists with some spare time who could put some of it into doing some artwork for me?

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:57 pm

Every once in a while, sounds make a funny noise -- I think due to the pitch alterations you're doing. Sometimes when you fire a weapon, you get a weird squeak sound: click click click squeak click.

well, I've found a little nasty related to rapidly start/stopping looping sounds, appearing when the number of playing loop sounds changed, and existing ones swapped channels. I think Ive got this one minimised now, by handling the internal channels slightly better, but i still seem to notice it every now and again. any free time I get Ill put into tracking down the ones you've mentioned, I really should get round to bringing everything online up to date with what I have here ;)

jitspoe

Postby jitspoe » Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:19 am

Since you're like never on irc -- you have a new version I can try? :)

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Sun Apr 04, 2004 6:50 pm

should be doing a spring clean on wednesday (7th april), so check back then, got some new stuff all round that will hopefully make it out of my machine :P

jitspoe

Postby jitspoe » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:21 pm

Anything new on the OpenAL front? At some point I need to get with you about storing various data in a new map format for things like reverb...

Return to “OpenAL/EAX developement”