sucks...

Addressing hardware issues such as printer/scanner troubles, or other issues relating to hardware troubleshooting
Xeon
Advanced Member

Postby Xeon » Wed Oct 08, 2003 2:13 am

no, not TBM, my harddrive. for the first time in 4½ years it finally developed some bad sectors (physical, shall i say). this led me to a reformat as it cant boot to Windows anymore (even in Safe Mode). actually this happened a couple of days from now already, which i reformatted again because the windows bootup seems to read from an impending bad sector, which in result takes my bootup thrice of normal waiting. what sucks is that even after i used scandisk and NDD, its still there. it cured some sectors but its still there. kind of like "the more you try to fix, the more its getting worse".

the reformat fixed it... partly, at least the bootup time is a lot shorter now.

as much as i want to install TBM on my PC, i fear that it may land on a broken sector (which is highly likely for the uberpak to occupy). im now here to ask anyone knowledgeable on this matter, what software utilities could be best used in these situations?

i tried doing everything on my own, but i ended up being confused that i dont know where to start anymore. thanks in advance.

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:25 pm

[quote]first time in 4½ years it finally developed some bad sectors ..."the more you try to fix, the more its getting worse" [quote]

its sounds very much like this HDD is reaching the end of its life, which is about right given the expected life of around 5 years for an HDD. other mechanical parts such as fans and CD drives are probably also feeling the slight tinge of age as well.

During a format it marks any bad sectors for non use, otherwise try a scandisk thorough which will do the same (windows system tools, from safe mode). Do this a couple of times over the period of a few weeks and note if the number of bad sectors are increasing, if they are the drive is dieing graciously.

Oh btw, just in case you havn't, run a virus check on the drive, theres a couple of HDD boot sector virus's floating around which can mess with data, and arn't fixed by a standard format (in which case either you need the software to find it, or do an fdisk->format to be sure)

If it comes to buying a new one, especially if the old one is still (half) working with data on it you want to keep, seagate do a nice set of (free) dos based tools for mirroring one drive to another, also, check on the HDD's manufacturers website, most do some dos based diagnostic tools for analysing problems like this.
N.B. Ill move this thread into the hardware PC support section just as soon as I get round to giving beta testers access to that area.
© Mark 'mSparks' Parker 2010
<pubkey>AJXzWKeV59HaoUkmrCwP9f+kMr8aOIM
jMKy7ACsaRDCE/XuF0orj/jActtfWDMKjg/CixI7JP0Z6lbS99dc
86fxDIQOmfIU8BNYKPmlPA/uY3ZpT9/4iQY0XwKad5eJhDFW
cZ2Z4VUWJzlbuoX/QV4ihTVkr9JnyJb+fN9AOqXH9AQAB</pubkey>

Xeon
Advanced Member

Postby Xeon » Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:43 pm

thanks ill do that. tbh, i when used Norton Disk Doctor (older version though) i didnt use the full thorough test (only tested the parts occupied with data) as it would take me 7 hours. damn, that meant alternative time :D

about the viruses, can you suggest some names of recent viruses that does boot sector damage (so i can research if i have symptoms of it)?

about harddrives, i dont like Seagate at all. from personal experienes trying to fix harddrives, i cant remember not coming up with a Seagate. my HDD is Maxtor and reaching that nearly 5-year stability, it gained my trust (and if im lucky this time i might even get away with it). other than that i cant remember hearing about a broken Maxtor drive either.

of course this all simply came from my personal experiences B)

tiger@sound.net
Advanced Member

Postby tiger@sound.net » Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:56 am

... Xeon and mSparks this is very good information for anyone worried about their PC system.

I will be worrying, for forever and a day, about the new mysteries of XP on my system and it's very controlling effects with your very fine running TBM???)

(Obtw, I have taken ten's of megs of useless utilities OFF and still LOTs of 90+M of Systems, Services and Administrator processes running???) :(

... But,,, here's my very general "PC usage" question...
With my last PC, the fans failed, first and then the HardDrive...

And, usually, a new owner will leave all his gear ON, as much as possible to prove the hardware, especially, before the "replacement warrenty" runs-out.

Heck folks, in the ancient Z80 and 8080 days, we used to wrap them in blankets and COOK them, for days, to check-out their thermistor heating-sensing circuits. :)

So, with these newer and very random quality-wise PCs, what would be your suggestions about leaving them on, ALL the time??? :unsure:

(Leave them ON and test them until your warrenty runs out and then shut them down, after that, to conserve the fans and the hardware?)

(Thanks for your help!!!) :)

... Tiger...
(Ps... I have been told that using a "screen saver" on these LCD monitors is NOT a very good idea... So, I simply TURN mine's power-button, to OFF.) B)

slacker
Advanced Member

Postby slacker » Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:08 am

i use linux on my desktop now..

sad to see nobody has replied in my other thread about linux and ltktbm in this forum :(

at the moment im using the classic quake2 + action mod setup
<a href='http://www.partydome.us/' target='_blank'>http://www.partydome.us/</a>

mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Thu Oct 09, 2003 8:58 am

So, with these newer and very random quality-wise PCs, what would be your suggestions about leaving them on, ALL the time???

Fans should ideally be replaced every 1-2 years as a preventive measure, for the simple fact that they're cheap compared to the damge done when they go faulty (PSU fans are the worst, an overheating CPU can literally fry every single PC component, trust me, its not pretty)

harddrives, well depending on the reasons your leaving them on all the time, simple backup proceedures will do, otherwise a dual RAID setup with shared dual HDD's will allow you to keep it running even if one of the drives go down.

otherwise, for general use, its best just to replace the parts as they go faulty, unless of course its reached the point where new hardware is available which will do a better job.

basically it falls down to keeping reciepts (all new hardware comes with at least 1 years parts and labour, HDD's and moniters can come with up to 3)

try to buy from somewhere that gives warranties on individual parts, rather than just the system as a whole. PC's are NOT like a TV or video, they are a collection of parts from numerous different manufacturers, and really should be treated as such. Not even the likes of Dell make their own HDD's/processors, the only part thats unique to them is the shell of the case. (although they do ussually have warranty agreements with the actual manufacturers).

AFAIK, the only parts that can give you trouble once they break the 1 year barrier are mechanical ones, since they suffer from wear, however keeping them in a good, clean environment, and ensuring they keep cool are important factors in ensuring stability. This is one of the reasons for the recent increase in problems with processors, motherboards and memory, its not that they are of random quality, its that they are affected more by overheating caused by bad ventilation.

This is also the reason I wont touch laptops with a bargepole, my advice has always been, If it absolutely MUST be a laptop, get it from somewhere that offers (cheap or free) warranty greater than 1 year, be aware that if you damage your screen it will cost you in excess of £500 whatever you paid for the initial machine, and if possible get it on finance, and pay it of immediately. (this is because, in the UK at least, your warranty is protected by the consumer credit act, even if the company you bought it from is nolonger in business)
© Mark 'mSparks' Parker 2010

<pubkey>AJXzWKeV59HaoUkmrCwP9f+kMr8aOIM
jMKy7ACsaRDCE/XuF0orj/jActtfWDMKjg/CixI7JP0Z6lbS99dc
86fxDIQOmfIU8BNYKPmlPA/uY3ZpT9/4iQY0XwKad5eJhDFW
cZ2Z4VUWJzlbuoX/QV4ihTVkr9JnyJb+fN9AOqXH9AQAB</pubkey>

Return to “Hardware”