Windows Vista vs WGA

All software related queries
mSparks
Advanced Member

Postby mSparks » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:25 am

I just had a little chat with a few so called 'hackers'...

Now its been along time since I had much todo with the mostly underground scene that is reverse engineering, and having recently switched full time to Red-Hats Fedora Core Linux its not something that will affect me in any way, but this has to be one of the funniest hacks I have ever seen.

Apparently, Windows XP and Vista's WGA (better known as Windows Genune Advantge) appart from being quite easy to work around, is actually very easy to 'break' on legitimate machines. So easy in fact that the hackers are working on code right now that can be embedded in websites to go off like a 'time bomb', simultaniously making every windows XP/Vista machine that has visited infected sites decide it is a non-genuine, and banned from the windows and office update sites... (probably using similar tactics to the infection of this site a few months back, which I now autoban accross the entire domain for suspected attacks)

Apparently they are waiting to start infecting machines untill after the general release of windows Vista, and timed for maximum effect with a release of a worm of a similar threat to MyDoom, which will also break WGA and windows installer when it infects machines, since a broken WGA is not repaired by a system roolback it looks like fixing this issue could be somewhat troublesome..

Apart from that I have no real further information, when, if ever, it finally kicks off, this site will be here to advise you how to switch to Linux.
© Mark 'mSparks' Parker 2010
<pubkey>AJXzWKeV59HaoUkmrCwP9f+kMr8aOIM
jMKy7ACsaRDCE/XuF0orj/jActtfWDMKjg/CixI7JP0Z6lbS99dc
86fxDIQOmfIU8BNYKPmlPA/uY3ZpT9/4iQY0XwKad5eJhDFW
cZ2Z4VUWJzlbuoX/QV4ihTVkr9JnyJb+fN9AOqXH9AQAB</pubkey>

Slashn64
Advanced Member

Postby Slashn64 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:02 am

vista is gonna suck
The only thing worse than death is to be forgotten.....

Return to “Software”